Computer Help forum

General discussion

Freezing and Problems booting Win7

by keispiegel / March 26, 2011 3:31 PM PDT

I've had a pretty recent problem on my PC. It will randomly freeze up and won't respond to any kind of ctrl+alt+del commands or anything, forcing me to do a hard reset. When I boot back up, after I log into windows, it gets stuck on the loading screen (left it for half an hour)

I've used a sys restore and it will work fine, but it seems to start having problems when my system has to make a windows update (serivce pack I think) and when Security Essentials has to update as well. Because once I shut down to do those updates, the problems come back. I've also made sure to run MSE, Avast and Malewarebytes to see if it was a virus or malware, but all came back negative on my scans.

I've done a memtest86+ and no errors come back on the RAM, but I do have a pretty full event log which maybe someone is a bit more versed in. One person said it may be my PSU, and the fact that it's crappy, but others seem to say it's fine.

Windows 7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
CPU: 4x, 2666 MHz
RAMPAGE II GENE
9GB
Delta PSU
Asus CG5290
500w PSU
CPU, MB, SB, and NB temp and voltage are all normal and under threshold

My event log comes up with lots of: 219, 7060, 7001, 4, and 219. Some of them say something about a libusb0, but again, I don't quite know how to read them.

The system is about a year and a few months old, but I'd rather try and fix it myself so I can learn how, then send it back to ASUS.

Thanks, and let me know if you need me to provide any more info.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Freezing and Problems booting Win7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Freezing and Problems booting Win7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a guess
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 5:33 AM PDT

Did I see what you said correctly, you have MSE and Avast running at the same time?

If so, I would uninstall one of those and just stick with the one. Two or more anti-virus suites running at the same time may cause such conflicts as they attempt to scan the same files at the same time.

I will let others reply about libusb0.sys if there is anything known about it. But are there any USB devices attached? If so, I would disconnect them. Or, have you updated any drivers at all for any devices?

Mark

Collapse -
re: just a guess
by keispiegel / March 27, 2011 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a guess

Yea. I used to have more than that on at one time before someone pointed out that "less is more" I haven't had any problems and heard about a couple people running the same programs in tandem. To be on the safe side though, I removed Avast! since it seems like their 6.0 update was when my problems began, so now I'm relying on MSE.

Yea, just a usb extender. It has my bluetooth mouse, keyboard, and then my ports have my 2 external drives plugged in. I haven't updated any recently to my knowledge, though I try and stay on top of making sure they are current.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!