Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

freeware "environment" for installing apps to usb?

by scales / March 11, 2007 12:09 PM PDT

I know there are programs that do this, creedo, mojopac, etc. but they cost money. is there some sort of free alternative? the key is i need to be able to install my own software to a usb and run it on any computer, not firefox or some general software like that. ideas?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
"install my own software to a usb and run it on any computer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

"install my own software to a usb and run it on any computer"

Since you are the author you'll have to rethink how you write and package your software. You'll have to avoid requiring the use of DLLs, the registry or in other words anything that makes installing a requisite.

No tools are required to do this, just a rethinking of your code.

Bob

Collapse -
ok not my own software
by scales / March 11, 2007 1:22 PM PDT

well the software isn't my own. i meant more on a general level. I have software that i am not able to get a pre-made "portable" version of. so i need to be able to install it to a usb and run it from the usb. programs like mojopac, and creedo allow this, but i was wondering ir perhaps somethine like Bart PE would allow me to do the same for free. ideas?

Collapse -
Probally violates a license agreement
by mark04276 / March 11, 2007 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: ok not my own software

When you buy software, you are only buying a license to use the software on your computer. You will find that in most EULA that you are only allowed to install on one computer. Doing what you want to do is not instaling it on one computer, but wanting to run it on any computer where you might have your usb stick. If that program doest have a portable version then I would suspect the author doesnt want this to be portable.

Collapse -
Sorry, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: ok not my own software

The portable versions of say Firefox and others were rewritten to be able to do such a trick. The others are pure hacks and if you need such then pay the small fee and be done with it.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!