Speakeasy forum

General discussion

FreeCell

I've been playing FreeCell for a while. I started out at game #1 and I'm up to game #178. I usually play a couple of games a day. The longest stretch of completing a game, on the first attempt, is 27 games over a 2 week period. Until now, the only game that was a little difficult was game #157, which took about 3 trys before I was successful. Now I'm stuck on game #178. I've tried about 10 times and not even close to winning. It is very difficult to complete FreeCell when the 7's and 8's are at the top (buried), in this game the red 7's and 8's are all in one column which has made it impossible (for me) to win. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FreeCell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FreeCell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my ex boss

In reply to: FreeCell

in fl new a man played allmost all b4 he died

Collapse -
let's see

In reply to: my ex boss

If I do my 2 games a day, and there are 1,000,000 different games, I don't think I'll be successful Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Isn't it something like 65,535? (2 to the 16)

In reply to: let's see

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: (NT) Isn't it something like 65,535? (2 to the 16)

When I click game>select game they list games from 1 to 1000000.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hadn't seen that before.

In reply to: Response

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And the moral of your story? :-)

In reply to: my ex boss

Collapse -
Try games -1 and -2

if you're looking for difficult. Wink

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Try games -1 and -2

Hi Brent,

I started at #1 and I'm up to 178 and stuck, I don't recall 1 and 2 being difficult, but then only reason I mentioned 157 was I was keeping track of the latest games completed on a piece of paper.

jp bill

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Minus one and minus two is what he is saying.

In reply to: Response

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OOhhh..... thanks

In reply to: (NT) Minus one and minus two is what he is saying.

Collapse -
I would play this for hours

I learned how to edit the Windows registry to reset the count when I knew I was going to lose...therefore keeping the win streak in tact. Hope God will forgive. Happy

Collapse -
I just play at random...

In reply to: I would play this for hours

New game each time. If I lose I lose; go on to the next one.

BTW if you really want to win hit Ctrl-Shift-F10. You can "win" any game on the next move that way.

Collapse -
I think thats the same..

In reply to: I just play at random...

FreeCell game I play at ramdom times. so far have 954 wins and 15 loses. Longest streak was 228 wins. They say every game is winable.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You gonna burn, Steven!

In reply to: I would play this for hours

Collapse -
Not that I would know, of course-

all my time on the computer is spent seriously.

BUT I have a friend who once got 40 in a row. BTW, I ... I mean he had trouble with an earlier game, about #30 or so. Never did figure it out.

Collapse -
response

In reply to: Not that I would know, of course-

After I posted last night, I tried #178, the game I was having trouble with and after 3 tries I was successful:)

Collapse -
It is reported now that only one is impossible

I read back in win 95 days there were 3 (can't remember which) besides the -1, -2.

All of the 32,000 Microsoft deals except for number 11982 are solvable.

Jim Horne's version for Windows 3.1 contained 32,000 numbered deals (games), so that selecting a specific number would always produce the same deal. (These are random deals, generated by integer seeds using the random number generator in the Microsoft C compiler). He numbered the deals so that people could exchange the numbers of difficult/interesting deals with their friends, and also in the belief that some people would try to play sequentially through the deals; many people have in fact done so. Happily, when the game was ported to Windows 95 and later operating systems, the set of 32,000 deals was the same, so any discussion of deal numbers applies to all Microsoft versions. The help file for Microsoft FreeCell contains the claim ''It is believed (though not proven) that every game is winnable.'' When Horne wrote this, he already knew that unsolvable deals could be constructed (see Hans Bodlaender's example): as a joke, the Windows 95 version includes two unsolvable deals, numbered -1 and -2. Horne purposely made his claim ambiguous in order to challenge people to find such impossible deals, but intending it to mean that all of the 32,000 included deals were winnable. This comes as close as possible to being true..

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.