Computer Help forum

General discussion

Free Zone Alarm, Firewall

I get the following warning that Zone Alarm has blocked FROM 192-1680.1 - TCP Port 2280.
Can anybody tell me what the H this is? It comes up every time I start my computer. Is it blocking something I need? Help. Thanks
I'm using Windows XP home edition, MSn. Explorer 7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free Zone Alarm, Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free Zone Alarm, Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OK, jerryatric, here goes:

In reply to: Free Zone Alarm, Firewall

Port 2280 is a TCP (Transfer Control Protocol) port used by something called LNVPOLLER. I did a little research and this does NOT appear to be anything malicious, although I admit I couldn't find an exact explanation. The only thing I could turn up was an association with the eDonkey file sharing program; you're not doing file sharing, are you?

That said, I'd continue to block it, as I assume you're already doing. There's no reason why it should be open. If you want to stop getting that popup, check the box in it that allows you to suppress it.

A good basic test for any firewall is Steve Gibson's Shields UP! at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 (scroll down to the "Proceed" button and click it).

Hope this helps,

Paul

Collapse -
Just so you know

In reply to: OK, jerryatric, here goes:

Any program is free to use any port it wants. Many programs use specific ports or port ranges, but there's nothing stopping them from using a different port or set of ports.

It could be ANYTHING trying to access port 2280. The only real way to find out, is to use a program to find out exactly what program is trying to access port 2280. You can't simply rely on what turns up in a Google search, because for all you know, it's a bit of malware that's programmed to use random ports to avoid this very sort of detection. I could also give a dissertation on why anything on the GRC website is questionable, but why bother? A lot of people think it's some great achievement to find a site like that, and then to find out they've been duped by little bits of truth wrapped in a steaming pile of BS... Since I make a living off of trying to solve the problems created by these people, who am I to question it?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.