General discussion

Free WI FI

Jul 15, 2004 11:57AM PDT

With many hotels and cofee shops advertising free WiFi, I am confused. If I get the hardware for my laptop, do I also need some special provider? I use Earthlink dial-up and now use that when traveling but WiFi sounds interesting. What do you need to use this free internet?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Free WI FI
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Free WI FI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Free WI FI
Jul 15, 2004 9:08PM PDT

This is the chicken and egg problem. You don't have the wifi equipment so you don't see how it works.

In short, my Linksys has a "discover network" feature and that's all I use. Then I can use the web browser and if your ISP allows outside use of the email, then you can do email.

I know you may ask more questions, but it has been that simple for me.

bob

- Collapse -
Free Wi-Fi in LA 90020 area?
Nov 6, 2009 1:51PM PST
- Collapse -
This to a 5 year discussion?
Nov 6, 2009 8:19PM PST

Let's lock it and let it fade in time. I see you made a new post.

CNET Forums

Forum Info