General discussion

Free Spyware???

I downloaded the free ZoneAlarm yesterday. Today it scanned and showed me two new spyware but wouldn't remove them without me purchasing one of their products. I have found the same for a couple of other products that are suppose to be free. Gee, I appreciate the free scan but I am looking for something that will work to remove the junk.

Also someone knows of a good Spanish version that I can put on my computer in S.A. for my non-English speaking kids? I have ZoneAlarm(free), Spy Sweeper (30 free), B-Safe Online (AV), but it is all too complex for someone who doesn't understand English.
Kathy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Free Spyware???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Free Spyware???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'd try Spybot Search and Destroy...

...because it's Free, it's pretty effective (nothing is 100% effective), although I've never used it in anything other than english, it appears to it supports over 30 languages (including spanish).

The default mode is very simple and straightforward. Have it scan for problems and use the "imunization" tool.

The advance mode is pretty good at adding more protection options, but doesn't offer a whole lot of help in explaining what the various tools in advanced mode do. I've been slowly tinkering with the advance options to learn what they do, but if you're not sure you should probably leave advance mode alone or get help in using it.

Spybot Search and Destroy is free (although they encourage donations) and you can download it off a number of sites, including the CNET Download center.
Go download it, have it check for updates, then run the scan and imunization.

I wouldn't use it as my only anti-virus/anti-spyware, but it's a lot better than nothing and works well in combination with other similar programs.

Hope that helps.

-The Tick

- Collapse -
Thanks

I'll try it today!
Kathy

CNET Forums

Forum Info