Computer Help forum

General discussion

Free Software Utilities

by penny715 / April 17, 2010 12:06 AM PDT

Why do different softwares find problems when run back to back? I am trying Glary Utilities and WinUtilities along with Avast virusware. Each scan from each one finds the same stuff, even after I repair. Why? And how do I know which one is best and which to purchase?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free Software Utilities
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free Software Utilities
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Because
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2010 1:24 AM PDT

Because, two of those programs could be considered scams. They don't actually DO anything except generate a pretty report. I won't say which two are the scams, I'll just say the following.

1: A few months back there was a concerted effort to astroturf glary utilities on this forum, probably others as well

2: Registry programs tend to cause more problems than they solve

3: No registry program I have ever seen actually gives some kind of objective selection criteria, which I find to be quite interesting in a disturbing sort of way... Both in that you have no idea what's going on, and that I seem to be about the only person on the planet who stops to question that

4: Avast is the only product that has undergone some kind of objective testing by a neutral third party

I don't care if you believe it was the intervention of a divine being or just a long string of coincidences. The point is, humans have brains which are capable of analytical thought. So be it because of some divine being's benevolence or because there was some evolutionary advantage, it seems rather folly to not be using that particular part of your brain. Either you're insulting said divine being, effectively throwing its gift to you back in its face, not to mention being supremely presumptuous to think that you know better than it what you need... Or you're simply not making use of every evolutionary tool you have to succeed... It brings you right back to it being folly not to use it.

You don't need to be an expert on everything to be able to think things through logically and figure out when someone's trying to scam you. For example, does it REALLY take that much effort to figure out that some random person on the Internet, whom you've never before met in any way, sends YOU an email saying that they suddenly inherited all this money and need YOU to help them hide it from some government agency? You'd think it'd be a no brainer, yet thousands of people fall for this rather primitive scam every day. Now if you want to join them on the list of people natural selection needs to deal with, I commend your willingness to remove yourself from the gene pool for the betterment of the species. OTHERWISE, start giving the analytical parts of your brain a workout from time to time. Then these things will become self-evident.

And just to help prove the point. If you are upset by anything I said in this post, it's because on some level you know I'm right.

Collapse -
Keep Avast, throw the other two away.
by Ol Rod / April 17, 2010 5:19 AM PDT

Also download SuperAntispyware. You can use it for free, It just sits in your computer and only runs when you tell it to scan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?