Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3

Does anyone know of a free program (I am unemployed) that will convert a music file .wav to mp3? Thanks guys. I have the wav on my hard drive. I can do this directly from a CD but not for a file that is on my computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3

In reply to: Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3

I downloaded and tried a trial program that Robert mentioned recently. It is not free for the full version, but the free trial worked great for me. It is Power MP3 WMA Converter, at http://www.cooolsoft.com/powerconvertor.htm . I think the trial version limits to one song at a time conversion so will take longer to convert a large number of songs.

Collapse -
Thank You Joe

In reply to: Re:Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3

Thanks,

This seems to be just what I am looking for.

Jane

Collapse -
Take a gander at CDEX as well.

In reply to: Thank You Joe

"Support for transcoding of compressed audio files"

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/features.php

"Best of all CDexis entirely free! You will never have to pay to use the software or register in any way. Moreover, CDex is entirely opensource, as per the GPL Terms."

Collapse -
Re:Re:Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp3

Joe Hawkins, by any chance?

Collapse -

Collapse -

You can try the musicmatch basic version. I believe that you will find a conversion option in the File menu. I have found no other program that is as easy to use.

Collapse -

use dbpoweramp music convertor v10.
its available at www.dbpoweramp.com
its awesome

Collapse -

I'll second the vote for DBPowerAmp. I've tried many and it works the best for me.

Collapse -

Hi Jane,

I have been using a free and very simple to use program called "simple Mp3 Maker"
It rips CDs, Encodes and Decodes MP3 (MPEG1/MPEG2 Layer 3), AAC, Vorbis/Ogg or WMA files to WAV files and vice versa. It is very fast and as I said before, very simple to use.
Check it out at: http://www.geocities.com/simplelance/index.html
Hope it works for you..

See ya'
cevest

Collapse -

I third the vote for dBPowerAmp. It converts almost anything to almost anything. Does it with a right click menu. Simple.

Collapse -

go to zdent downloads there you can find awav to mp3 encoder 2.5 that will help you or also in zdent you can find other wav to mp3 programs

Collapse -

Try Acoustica.com, they have a free trial, I have used it for several years and can find nothing better, and if you buy it is a low price and well worth it..

Collapse -

I found a great tool to do this. JetAudio has not only a converter but is also a media player too.

Collapse -

Db Poweramp I have found will change your music files to any format you like with the proper codecs, download through kazaa and use astalavista to finish the registration then all the codecs are free

Collapse -

MusicMatch converts wav to mp3

Collapse -

tell me...please

Collapse -

Go to www.winamp.com. Winamp 5.02, combined with a MP3 output plugin available on that site, can convert any file format (or CD tracks) to MP3s at up to 320 kbps. It's what I use.

Collapse -

hi,
This is prash here. You can have the free version of Music match Jukebox version 6.0 . This helps you to convert your WAV files on your hard drive to mp3. You also have this feature of converting it to a VBR(variable bit rate) or CBR(constant bit rate). Mostly all songs are in CBR(128kbps). If you need a better quality you can have more than 128kbps. Once you have this, go to File menu --> choose Convert. Choose the location of the source file and then choose the required format of your output file. Choose a destination for the output file. Click 'Convert'. Thats it. Your conversion is complete!

Collapse -

Collapse -

Hi,
If you have; or, have not obtained a program to convert .wav to .mp3, I would still check out CDex as it is a great program to have on board if you are interested at all in music.

Go to: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/features.php

I know you will be as happy with this program as I am.

guruinfant1@yahoo.com

Collapse -

Another option somewhat related to MusicMatch is the Windows version of iTunes. It's excellent for organizing your music collection and does conversions from wav, mp3, and even midi into any other format.

Collapse -
Re: Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp

To convert WAV o MP3:
Go to www.audiobliss.net
and download: WAVtoMP3 it's free !!!
Greetings
www.videomanie.be

Collapse -
Re: Free program that will convert wav (on dard drive) to mp

put the search for dbpoweramp. It's free. Does a lot and you can download all types of codecs for different formats. Been using it for years.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.