Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Free Dictionary software?

by BlazeEagle / August 4, 2006 4:16 PM PDT

Dictionary.com's ads are a pain. Is there free Dictionary software I can use?

I'll deal with a paid version, if it's a ONE TIME fee. I'm not paying $20 a year for Dictionary.com.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Why not buy a dictionary program?
by glb613 / August 4, 2006 9:25 PM PDT

I bought one for $9.95 at Office Depot. No ads, no yearly fees and I installed it on more than one computer.

Collapse -
Did you know not read my post?...
by BlazeEagle / August 5, 2006 1:14 PM PDT

I said I don't mind paying for one that's about $20.

I hope I don't sound rude.

Collapse -
With a little work
by jnbhoward / August 5, 2006 1:10 AM PDT

You could configure AdBlock Plus for Mozilla Firefox to filter out the ads on dictionary.com.

Took a look at the site using the standard set of filters created by AdBlock Filterset.G Updater companion extension, and aside from a instances of the word "Advertisement", I don't see a thing.

Plenty of other good reasons to not be using Internet Explorer to add some icing on the cake as well. Things like being at significantly less risk for malware or other IE tailored attacks. Not to mention handy features like tabbed browsing, top rate popup blocker, and an inline spellchecker once Firefox 2.0 hits.

Collapse -
I use Firefox., A question...
by BlazeEagle / August 5, 2006 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: With a little work

That's what I'm using to type this & browse the web.

You say version 2.0 will have a built in spell checker? Excellent! Any idea when 2.0 is due out for release?

I only use IE when it's absolutely necessary to do so.

Collapse -
This month I think
by jnbhoward / August 5, 2006 1:49 PM PDT

Pretty sure the target release is sometime this month, but it's done when it's done and not because some arbitrary date has come. You could also download the Beta 1 release, which has the spellchecker turned on, and is really quite stable. Just be sure all your favorite extensions are supported, or give the nightly tester tools extension a try (it can disable the compatibility checks Firefox usually does). Or, if you would rather, you can check the MozillaZine extensions forum to find a copy of the development version of Spellbound, which adds the inline spellchecking to Firefox 1.x. Not quite as nice as what Firefox 2.0 will have, but certainly better than nothing. Since that functionality was rolled into Firefox, there's no further development on it however.

If you use Firefox already, you should be sure to install AdBlock Plus and AdBlock Filterset.G. That gets rid of probably better than 90% of all ads, and then you can create your own rules to get rid of the rest.

Collapse -
Several available...
by Edward ODaniel / August 5, 2006 1:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks Edward! I really appreciate it!
by BlazeEagle / August 5, 2006 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Several available...

Wordword has alot of helpful options in it!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Google "Free Dictionary" over 6 million results
by Trance_Zac / August 5, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
I KNOW that but...
by BlazeEagle / August 5, 2006 1:27 PM PDT

Which one to use?, that is the question! Wink

Collapse -
Try This
by Integrity / August 5, 2006 3:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks! I appreciate the reminder...
by BlazeEagle / August 6, 2006 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Try This

I forgot about Merriam-Webster Online! Their ads seem a tad less obtrusive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!