Question

Free/cheap programs for website, brochure, card design&fonts

Hey everyone-

I need to design a website, brochure & & business card that all have the same fonts & style.

Does anyone know one free or low-cost program that a computer & design novice like me can use to self-design all three, or separate programs?

If I'd need a separate website development program, then I'd need to find one where I can transfer the font/design I'll be creating for all three of these.

There are common fonts like Arial I could probably find in various programs, but I'm looking for a program that offers many to choose from... or where you can import a unique font and use it for a site/brochure/card.

Also: where can one look at a wide variety of fonts and get the right one to be imported?

Thanks!
Jeff

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Free/cheap programs for website, brochure, card design&fonts
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Free/cheap programs for website, brochure, card design&fonts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Did you consider the legal issues?

Many fonts are copyrighted and if you were not careful you would be walking into a trap. You said you were new to all this but I'm finding some of the newest to go up or down in flames over this area.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=are+fonts+copyrighted

So be sure you don't run afoul of that because such a mistake could be costly.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for mentioning--maybe a program that comes w/fonts?

Glad you mentioned this, Bob. One program that comes with a wide variety of legal fonts to choose from (or two that have the same fonts?) might be a safer choice. Anyone know program(s) where this isn't an issue?

- Collapse -
And witht that behind us.
https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/63238 and many other articles get you up to speed on font wars. I will drop that here and move on to the font web conundrum.

If you do your basic web author app (there are only a thousand to choose from?) then you see the issue with fonts. And if you overload your web site with fonts, the speed suffers and your users may gripe about how it doesn't render to print.

That is, I would be guessing here you know all about the print from the web issues and topic. That's why I suggest folk use some web page for preview and on the back end create a final PDF for the user to print.

Or just chuck it all out and offer a print to an online print shop service.

There's only a few years of work to create what you noted up top. Sometimes you get someone new to web authoring and they think they can buy a program.
Bob
- Collapse -
Answer
PS. Forgot to add this one.
- Collapse -
Thanks, but not looking for a career in this...just a novice

Just to be clear: I'm a nonprofessional novice who wants to stay nonprofessional, not make this a career.

I'm looking for a program/programs basic enough that even people not that skilled in computers or design can make something, then send it to a professional printer.

- Collapse -
Your top post suggested otherwise.

"I need to design a website, brochure & & business card that all have the same fonts & style."

That would entail expertise in web authoring, and I wanted to be sure you didn't fall into the shark tank of legal issues so that's done above.

If you just want a DTP program there are so many today it's not funny.

Why not LibreOffice?
Bob

- Collapse -
LibreOffice is one good possibility

Thanks - I'd heard LibreOffice is good for brochures & maybe cards.

Which component of LibreOffice designs website pages, and which program would be easiest to use with this (i.e. tumblr, wordpress, etc) for a novice website maker, or does Libre contain this website structuring program as well?

(I want to create a simple website, maybe one or two pages, for a one-employee personal service business)

I may also have access to Microsoft Office, if there are any programs in it that would work for website design.

Brochure/card creation is relatively easy - looking for a program with a basic template to design a main page and then upload it to a site I'm registering with GoDaddy. or two programs to accomplish this.

- Collapse -
In your case you need more time.

I'm getting the feeling that you think you can avoid learning about web authoring and all that "if only I can find the right program."

My answer is there is no such program today. You can't avoid the work.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Let's get the free and other DTP apps here.
- Collapse -
Thanks again, Bob

You've been really helpful, Bob. I know it will take a lot of work, but guess I want a program that's like a "Webpage Program for Dummies," with templates where someone who's inexperienced can fill in the pre-set blanks on a one-page site.

I'll check out FatPaint and see if it's usable for someone with my limited skill set. I also heard that the support reps at GoDaddy are really helpful in directing novices to the right programs, so may ask them as well.

If anyone else has any suggestions based on my situation, they'd be helpful as well. Thanks again!

- Collapse -
Making a web page has never been easier.

But you have a much higher goal as noted in your first post. HOWEVER if you only need to create flyers and such those on the list noted as well as LibreOffice among those at http://alternativeto.net/software/libreoffice/ and web based document/drawing apps might be OK for end users.

I can't be sure what your goals are here. That is, if you wanted to make flyers, cards, DTP stuff then there are a lot of ready to use apps. If you wanted to create a portal/web site for others to create things then you can be sure that there is no webpage for beginners that lets you click, click, fill the blanks to get to the sites and apps noted above.

However such things are possible but I think folks create companies and have a group of programmers and a leader to bring such to life.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info