Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

free cell problem

by bently / February 2, 2004 1:48 PM PST

Using freecell, win xp home.

OK, I reformatted, reinstalled XP home. Everything seems to be working properly, except... Free cell.

FREE CELL OPTIONS
Display messages on illegal moves
Double click moves to free cell

I have UNchecked the above options over a dozen times, yet each time I play new gave of free cell, those 2 options are checked, and I have to uncheck them again.

Never had that problem in years of playing free cell. What do I do to keep those options permanently UNchecked?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: free cell problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: free cell problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:free cell problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2004 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: free cell problem

Is the account a LIMITED USER?

If so, that could explain it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:free cell problem
by bently / February 2, 2004 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re:free cell problem

Is the account a LIMITED USER?

Not sure what that is.

I am only person using computer.

Thanks

ben

Collapse -
READ this discussion. And BEWARE that you are not the only user.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2004 11:12 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:READ this discussion. And BEWARE that you are not the only user.
by bently / February 3, 2004 5:34 AM PST

Using Win XP home edition
I am the ONLY user of this computer , but have the following USER FILES In Documents & Settings.
All Users
Default Users
Local Service
Network Service
My name User

Ben

Collapse -
With XP, one user is DANGEROUS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2004 6:22 AM PST

It's a sure fire way to lock yourself out of simple repairs.

Here's a few dated discussions:

1. XP forgotten password.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=4099&start=0

Even though you didn't use one. People forget or a bug/pest/virus/worm changes the account you use. A spare Administrator account saves the day.

2. Another long discussion about accounts and such.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=3319&start=0

3. THIS IS THE ONE TO READ -> I'm the only user
http://reviews.cnet.com/5224-6142-0-1.html

Collapse -
(nt) ping...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2004 9:46 PM PST

Collapse -
To find out if you're the admin...
by Adi / February 3, 2004 6:32 AM PST

Go to Start menu --> control panel. Then click on user accounts. A new window should come up. At the bottom of this window should be written your account name (you said yours was "User"?) next to your picture, and underneath will be written either "computer administrator" or "Limited account". If you're the only user, you should be the administrator. If not, change it!!

One other thing, just to check, are you with Freeserve Anytime? Because I had the same problem on my 98 machine with Freecell and the Freeserve Connection Kit, which screwed up Freecell completely. I wasn't bothered personally, but dad was a bit miffed Wink If not, then it just sound like another wonderful Windows bug that keeps us all on our toes. Where would we be without Microsoft?

Hope this message helps.

Adi

Collapse -
Re:To find out if you're the admin...
by bently / February 3, 2004 1:04 PM PST

Bob,

3. THIS IS THE ONE TO READ -> I'm the only user
http://reviews.cnet.com/5224-6142-0-1.html

We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found.
If you got here by typing a URL, please make sure the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are correct, then try reloading the page.

Adi,

Checked and I am the administrator, and have one other account listed, GUEST, GUEST ACCOUNT IS OFF

Never heard of Freeserve, so I don't think I have it on computer. Had trouble with freecell when I used to use POP UP manager. Wonderful MS products.

Thanks

Ben

Collapse -
Bob, I found the missing post...
by bently / February 3, 2004 1:29 PM PST

nt

Collapse -
There is likely a hidden Administrator account....
by David Chan / April 1, 2004 10:25 PM PST

On most XP Home PCs I've worked with if you hit the F8 key on startup and choose to boot into Safemode you will see the option to boot into the Administrator or User Name account.

This Administrator account is normally hidden from view except in Safemode.
Besides performing other tasks you can use it to fix a corrupt user profile by creating a new profile in Safemode.

You can try that test to see if your PC has this Administrator account.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.