HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Free Ad-Aware VS the Ad-ware that you pay for?

by blue567 / January 21, 2006 2:30 AM PST

What is the difference between the free Ad-aware vs. the Ad-Aware that you pay for?

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free Ad-Aware VS the Ad-ware that you pay for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free Ad-Aware VS the Ad-ware that you pay for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Money and support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 2:34 AM PST

Having never paid for such, today's owners get great mileage from EWIDO, HOUSECALL, ZONE ALARM, FREE AVG or AVAST.

Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Are you asking about Ad-Aware SE build 1.06?
by steve11375 / January 21, 2006 7:18 AM PST

Hey Blue567,

Robert answered the question well for many of the products. Were you referring to Ad-Aware (from lavasoftusa.com)specifically? I'm not 100% sure but there is little difference between the FREE personal edition and the paid for editions of Ad-Aware SE 1.06. On the paid for versions when you open Ad-Aware, it's checks for updates automatically, on the free version you have to check for an update manually. On the paid version when you find problems, they can be automatically checked for removal, on the free version you have to check the items you want to remove. I've NEVER had a paid version of Ad-Aware but those are a couple things I know.

Hope that helps some,

Steve

Collapse -
The paid version also has
by roddy32 / January 21, 2006 7:37 AM PST

a Process-Watch. I can't give you separate links for the different versions because the URL is the same for all of them. If you go to this link and then click on the different versions on the top left side of the page where it says "Products" it will tell you abut each one.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Roddy Like I said NEVER had a paid for version
by steve11375 / January 21, 2006 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Me neither but it was fresh in my mind
by roddy32 / January 21, 2006 8:36 AM PST

because somebody asked the same question in here a couple of weeks ago and it was easier to check the Lavasoft site than to attempt to use the forum search feature which seems to be down more than up lately. LOL

Collapse -
Free Ad-Aware VS the Ad-ware paid versions
by Brent Welch / January 21, 2006 9:10 AM PST

If you look through the configuration options of the free version, you will see that some options are greyed-out and disabled. These are increasingly available in the paid versions, Plus & Professional. As mentioned in an earlier post, the paid versions can be set to automatically select all detected items for removal, while you must manually select each item in the free version.

The paid Ad-Aware Plus also includes Ad-Watch, a real-time adware scanner.

Ad-Aware Professional includes Ad-Watch, Process-Watch, and all of the add-ons that can be manually downloaded and installed for the free and Plus versions of Ad-Aware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.