Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Fractured service pack 1 installation...

by cgarrity / March 20, 2008 9:09 AM PDT

I went with the "run" installation since I didn't see an option to download the program to disk. I did not have the beta edition installed.

The installation went smoothly until I finished installing Service Pack:Stage (2 of 3). At this point, the system rebooted, then went through the "Safe Mode, etc" screen. I first let it do the countdown and then a normal installation. From there it flashed a blue screen about memory problems, etc. The screen was only up for a few second and then my computer basically shut down. The power lights were on, but no disk activity. I let it remain in that state for several minutes hoping the installation would continue.

No such luck. I then cycled the power switch and rapidly booted back up to the "Safe mode" screen. This time I chose safe mode with internet and the Service Pack 1 installation screen popped up reading...

Service Pack: stage 3 of 3 at 37%. I let this run and after many minutes, my computer booted back up to straight Vista with a message about a failed service pack 1 installation. However, I was back in business.

I then made some backups and tried the installation again with exactly the same results OR AT LEAST I HOPE SO since the computer is still running.

I personally had no issues with Vista and IF my computer does finish and put me back into the previous Vista installation, I'll probably quit for now.

I'm at a loss of ideas as my previous Vista installation ran so good. No apparent driver/hardware issues.

Does anyone know if this is a common Service Pack problem getting into the stage 3 of 3 part of the installation?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fractured service pack 1 installation...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fractured service pack 1 installation...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read the Vista sticky at the top of this page...
by glenn30 / March 20, 2008 9:24 AM PDT

Pay particular attention to Grif's comments about Microsoft listing certain drivers that may cause problems... that is where I would start.

Glenn

Collapse -
I just don't get it...
by cgarrity / March 20, 2008 2:31 PM PDT

Why would Vista Service Pack 1 require different drivers than the original Vista program?

Collapse -
I have no idea...
by glenn30 / March 20, 2008 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: I just don't get it...

It's updated drivers for certain software you are running... read that article and you will see certain ones that Microsoft knows about.

All I know is what I read in the article.

Glenn

Collapse -
Help finding Grif's comments...
by cgarrity / March 21, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I have no idea...

I've been browsing up and down in the Vista forum and can't find Grif's comment's. Could you reply with a link to them.

It would be much appreciated!

Chuck

Collapse -
Here's the link...
by John.Wilkinson / March 21, 2008 6:11 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.