The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

FOX online TV SUX! Windows only?!?!?!

by Ravensblood / October 18, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. I saw the review of Fox free online programming from 10/13 in the forum, but it was obviously from a windows user.

First of all, it's ridiculous for FOX to require people to download a player to STREAM their programming, but to top it off, they've blocked out Mac OSX users? What are they thinking?

This slap in the face is certainly not going to encourage me to buy their shows from itunes. Next stop...Bit torrent.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FOX online TV SUX! Windows only?!?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FOX online TV SUX! Windows only?!?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
overreacting a little?
by robstak / October 19, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

what percentage of the home computing market is windows pcs?... just checking.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don't know about Windows but Apple is now 6.1% of the m
by archaeo1 / October 19, 2006 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: overreacting a little?
Collapse -
Percentage of Market Doesn't Matter
by pkscout / October 19, 2006 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: overreacting a little?

Just remember that smart *** attitude when the OS you have chosen is no longer in favor. All this stuff is Windows only because Microsoft has cowtowed to the industry and provides a Windows only DRM solution. DRM has become another way to extend the monopoly. There are plenty of open streaming standards that could work on multiple platforms, but the entertainment industry won't give up their antiquated business model.

Collapse -
way off, and here's why...
by robstak / October 19, 2006 6:16 AM PDT

1. 'Percentage of Market Doesn't Matter'
--- perhaps you would like to explain economics to everyone, then, or answer me this question: Why are signs in USA 99% in english only. There are people here that don't speak english, aren't there? or Why are there more iPod accessories than ones for the Sansa? Why? Because iPod owns the market. It makes the most sense and profit to hit the biggest group possible. This is simple stuff and I'm surprised that you don't get it.

2. 'Just remember that smart *** attitude when the OS you have chosen is no longer in favor.'
--- There's no reason to get so upset on a message board, get testy and swear, ok?

3. All this stuff is Windows only because Microsoft has cowtowed to the industry and provides a Windows only DRM solution.
--- I see no proof of that at all. When you show me a document that shows an agreement between ABC and MS to exclude Apple, then I'll believe you.

3. "DRM"
--- I never said a word about DRM, don't straw man me, I know better than that.

Thanks for your response.

Collapse -
Thanks for not getting the point AT ALL
by pkscout / October 19, 2006 7:52 AM PDT

1. 'Percentage of Market Doesn't Matter'
--- perhaps you would like to explain economics to everyone, then

This has nothing to do with economics, and, as I said, it has nothing to do with market share. There is technology available that could have been chosen at no extra cost that would have served the *entire* market (Windows, Linux, Mac, Symbian, PocketPC, PS2, PS3, etc). They chose instead to go with a solution that is Windows only to get the DRM they wanted (more on that below).

3. All this stuff is Windows only because Microsoft has cowtowed to the industry and provides a Windows only DRM solution.
--- I see no proof of that at all. When you show me a document that shows an agreement between ABC and MS to exclude Apple, then I'll believe you.

Sorry, if the only thing you will accept is a notarized letter from Bill Gates then you will just have to be forever disappointed. Nobody is that stupid, least of all Microsoft. There is ongoing and massive amounts of anecdotal information online that points to Microsoft's ongoing efforts to woo the content industry to their closed, DRM ladened Windows Media system by touting all the customer unfriendly features to the content industry.

3. "DRM"
--- I never said a word about DRM, don't straw man me, I know better than that.

You didn't say DRM, but by saying it's OK for content providers to exclude some of the market in order to use a technology that incorporates DRM as one of it's strategies you are saying DRM is OK.

BTW, before all the Windows apologist get on my case, I think Apple is using the same DRM strategy with the iTunes Store, and I don't find it any more acceptable there.

Collapse -
to clear things up then...
by robstak / October 19, 2006 11:07 AM PDT

"This has nothing to do with economics, and, as I said, it has nothing to do with market share."
--- To be clear, your counter to my arguement, then, is just "umm, no". you are essentially just saying I'm wrong just because with no support for that statement. That was what I was trying to get at with my last post. You didn't explain yourself until this post... with the other technologies. And these technologies. i think i posted somewhere else about this. isn't flash universal? what am i missing here? i thought abc was flash video? do these other technologies cost more? have other hurdles to jump over? maybe not... i just dunno what's out there.

"..massive amounts of anecdotal information online..." I'd like to read some of this stuff. links?

"by saying it's OK for content providers to exclude some of the market in order to use a technology that incorporates DRM as one of it's strategies you are saying DRM is OK." I don't see the neccesary connection here. maybe you could elucidate it for me. If you are ok with windows only content, you must be ok with DRM? I don't think that's neccisarily true at all, whether directly or implicitly.

again, nothin personal, just curious...
-karl

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) CBS Online is also only Explorer!
by harrietj / October 19, 2006 1:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) INNERTUBE (CBS) works fine in Safari
by Ravensblood / October 19, 2006 9:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do any networks support OS besides Mac?
by gamegeek90 / October 19, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
All of them work with Windows, it's that what you mean
by awinn233 / October 19, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

The NBC and Comedy Central both work with a Mac, I haven't tried the others.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) uh... I meant to say "if that's what you mean"
by awinn233 / October 19, 2006 2:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) uhhh... I meant Windows
by gamegeek90 / October 19, 2006 3:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
NBC does OSX, I watch it all the time.
by archaeo1 / October 19, 2006 3:55 AM PDT

I miss out on most of NBC's programs due to school, so I watch them online, and they work perfectly with OSX.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it must be some partnership with MS ;)
by LiK / October 19, 2006 5:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
or laziness, or market share
by gamegeek90 / October 19, 2006 5:33 AM PDT

I have no qualms with it really, when you're talking about 94% of the PC market or whatever, I can't argue with it- I can always watch network TV on...uh...TV.

With that said, NBC/Universal is releasing some of its programming on the extremely limited Intel VIIV platform, which is just plain wrong.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?