General discussion

Found this by accident;

offered because of a recent thread on stem cells.

A desperate injection of stem cells and hope

Sun Feb 20, 7:55 AM ET Los Angeles Times By Alan Zarembo Times Staff Writer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20050220/ts_latimes/adesperateinjectionofstemcellsandhope&e=5

I think it has good lay explanations of the science and politics involved, which some of us misunderstood earlier.

It's also, I think, a reasoned cautionary tale.

BTW, a wealthy friend with "incurable" liver cancer went to Mexico for the "oxygen" treatments; she died.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Found this by accident;
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Found this by accident;
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi, Doug.

Sadly, there are charlatans everywehere. Stem cells hold the promosie of eventually being used to treat such conditions (hopefully within a decade, if the barriers to progress can be overcome), but they're certainly not ready for prime time now! There are a few conditions where we're getting close -- diabetes (type I) is one of them.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
Charlatans- and their willing victims.

I thought also the Times writer did a good job of helping us feel why. the man would get involved with that group, and. how legit they looked in the first place. Lessons for us all in caution and empathy.

10 years is probably correct for at least some progress, per level-headed scientists I read. But I just came across a Scientific American article I saved describing breakthroughs in understanding the HI virus and looking for progress 'soon'- in 1985!
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Who are these "charlatans"?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You talkin t'me? (Travis Bickle, 1976) :-)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wondering who Dave considers Charlatans regarding SCR
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Doug, Bookmarked. Very good discussion. Rob

CNET Forums

Forum Info