Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Found New Hardware Wizard??

Forgot to ask about this. When I plugged in my PC the other day after a month of being unplugged, I have a new program trying to gain access. "Found New Hardware Wizard" I tell it not at this time and click cancel, the little icon next to the clock goes away. It wants to search the hardware installation CD or Windows update Web Site. Is this something I need or should I somehow get rid of it? It wasn't on here before.
Thanks
Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found New Hardware Wizard??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found New Hardware Wizard??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Larry, I could be mistaken here but

In reply to: Found New Hardware Wizard??

Collapse -
Did a google...

In reply to: Larry, I could be mistaken here but

Read several of the same you just posted, and they talk about drivers and printers, and haveing problems installing what the wizard finds. If This is the case, maybe I need to find out how to get rid of it.
Larry

Collapse -
If it were me, I would want to

In reply to: Did a google...

know WHY it is showing up first, then get rid of the message. It is definately strange Larry why it would show up after the computer is off for a month. Have you checked in the control panel to see if anything that you have plugged into the computer such as a scanner, printer, camera, etc. didn't somehow uninstall itself and XP is looking for it? That is just a WAG on my part.

Collapse -
Printer Offline..

In reply to: If it were me, I would want to

Yep, I have an HP 1210 3 in 1 and it says it's offline, I' ll see if I can get it going and let you know.
Larry

Collapse -
Not the printer...

In reply to: If it were me, I would want to

Has something to do with AVG Update Service. Since I have the paid version, I'll write Tech Support and find out.
Larry

Collapse -
Strange because that is software

In reply to: Not the printer...

and not hardware but I suppose stranger things have happened. Good luck Larry.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.