Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Found New Hardware message coming up for no apparent reason.

Hi, I have Windows XP and all of a sudden yesterday I got a message when I turned my computer on saying "Found New Hardware - Ethernet Controller." Then it takes me to the Found New Hardware Wizard and asks me to install the software for the Ethernet Controller.

I have no idea what this is. I have not installed anything recently or made any changes to my computer (that I know of). I am very computer illiterate, so if you have any advice/solution, please keep it simple ... Happy

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found New Hardware message coming up for no apparent reason.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found New Hardware message coming up for no apparent reason.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I am very computer illiterate, so if you have any advice,,,

In reply to: Found New Hardware message coming up for no apparent reason.

"I am very computer illiterate, so if you have any advice/solution, please keep it simple"

If this was my machine I'd get the drivers for said component and install them.
Bob

Collapse -
Do you have an Ethernet Controller?

In reply to: Found New Hardware message coming up for no apparent reason.

Are you on dial-up?

Collapse -
I don't even know what an ethernet controller is .....

In reply to: Do you have an Ethernet Controller?

I'm on DSL. I use a modem connected to a router.

Collapse -
The Ethernet Controller. . .

In reply to: I don't even know what an ethernet controller is .....

is what the router connects to in the PC. Ethernet cable from router to the plug on the back of the PC. That plug is the NIC (Network Interface Card), otherwise known as the Ethernet Controller.

Sometimes the manufacturer will issue updtes for said cards. Next time this happens, let XP install the card. It should go to the Internet and look for updated drivers.

Wayne (IBM freak)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software.
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
Suspect one of two possibilities

You may have had an "on board" ethernet controller that was disabled in the motherboard BIOS. Do you recall an incident having trouble booting up and having to go to a setup screen or seeing a message about restoring defaults? As such, a disabled on board controller could suddenly become active. Another possibility is corruption of you ethernet controller's driver for some unexplained reason. To check, right click on your My Compute icon and go to Properties/Hardware/Device Manager. Do you see any yellow question marks? These are devices that have either no driver or a problem driver installed.

Collapse -
Thanks Coryphaeus and Steven ....

In reply to: Suspect one of two possibilities

Thanks for your great tips. I turned my computer on today and did not get that message and everything seems to be working fine now! I have printed out your answers, however, and will save them in case this problem comes up again.

(BTW, Steven, I followed your instructions and saw no yellow question marks ...)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.