Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Found Five new 1.5Gig files in Windows XP pro

by rdatrader / June 21, 2008 5:41 PM PDT

I am not completely sure when they got there but I have five new sistem files with one digit names--0, 1, 5, S, and Y. They are all system files and are exactly the same size--1,557,476KB. All the files are identically dated and the time is that of the last boot-up.

They appear to be locked and cannot be deleted, even with Mboot.exe.

Each file based on its Properties was created May 7, 2008 and was accessed at the last boot-up.

This does not appear to be normal, but I have no idea of what to do about them.

The computer is a Toshiba laptop running XP pro and was updated with sp3 yesterday. It has a 1.6 gig Intel dual core processor, 1Gig of Ram and a 120gig HDD.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rich

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found Five new 1.5Gig files in Windows XP pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found Five new 1.5Gig files in Windows XP pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When did you last reboot this laptop?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2008 7:44 PM PDT

You said;

"All the files are identically dated and the time is that of the last boot-up", and "Each file based on its Properties was created May 7, 2008 and was accessed at the last boot-up".

Does that mean you have not rebooted this laptop since May 7th?

If so, try rebooting and then see if they disappear/change.

When you say they are system files, what do you mean? Do they have the *.sys file extension, or are they located in the Windows\System32 folder?

Mark

Collapse -
When did you last reboot this laptop?
by rdatrader / June 21, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

MArk

The computer is booted up daily, and was rebooted at least three times yesterday'

Also, theere are no extensions associated with these files. I know they are considered system filed by the messages I get when I try to delete them.

Rich

Collapse -
Where are these files located?
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2008 11:45 PM PDT

Can you tell if they are they associated with a specific user? What AV program are you using? You can generally make such files go away by taking ownership of them first as long as they are not in use. I've seen unexplained transient files caused by AV programs...especially Kaspersky buy yours sounds like something MS might have done. Any recent updates such as SP3?

Collapse -
Re: Where are these files located
by rdatrader / June 22, 2008 12:31 AM PDT

steven

The files are in the Main Windows folder and are listed as system files, and no matter which one I try to delete or move I am always notified that they are in use. I have tried to remove them in Safe mode but no luck there either.

As I said in my first post, I was updated to sp3 a couple of days age.

Rich

Collapse -
You say they have no file extension
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 12:56 AM PDT

but can you just double check that? In the Control Panel, Folder Options, (or with My Computer open goto Tools > Folder Options), in the View tab, make sure the option to "Hide extensions for known file types" is de-selected, and also de-select "Hide Protected operating system files", (you should re-select that last option after you are done).

Do any file extensions become visible now?

Select one of those files, right click it and choose Open with, then select Notepad, (be sure that the option to "Always use this to open this file type is not selected). If you get a message saying the file is too large for Notepad and do you wish to open in Wordpad instead, choose Yes.

Is there anything in the first few lines to identify these files?

Mark

Collapse -
RE: You say they have no file extension
by rdatrader / June 22, 2008 1:41 AM PDT

MArk--have done all that. We are well past the superficial with this issue.

I can get into these files since they are always in use by another person or program--even in safe mode; I can't delete them even on re-boot with special software just for that and they do not have extensions even though all my other Windows files do.
Maybe I'll try to repair the OS installation if that is possible without wiping out the entire drive.

Rich

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / June 22, 2008 1:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
by rdatrader / June 22, 2008 4:35 AM PDT

Tufenuf

Well--that was tough enough to get rid of four of the five. Will try to remove last one and then restart to see if they return.

More later.

Thanks,

Rich

Collapse -
UH OH
by rdatrader / June 22, 2008 4:40 AM PDT

They're Back.

On to the next thing--Microsoft is researching the issue, since they had me uninstall sp3 and the files stayed on.

I thought that the Unlocker did the trick, bbut once I closed and reopened the windows file they returned.

I hate to do this but it looks like I will have to reinstall windows, and since this is a laptop, that means that I will loose all my files including some large programs that can take two days to reinstall.

Rich

Collapse -
Tried Using The Recovery Console To Remove Them
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: UH OH

If you've got an XP CD, boot from the CD, access the Recovery Console's command prompt and delete them using old style commands.. You'll need to know the exact name of the files and their location in the file structure but it sounds like you've got all that. No guarantees here because if the file is indeed a "needed" system file, you may not be able to reboot the computer after removing them.. It's worth a shot though.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tried Using The Recovery Console To Remove Them
by rdatrader / June 22, 2008 5:25 AM PDT

Thanks Griff --will do

Rich

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!