Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Found an old set of programs called World War 2

by Rob_Boyter / October 20, 2014 12:53 PM PDT

American narration, don't know about the origin. Early opening statement "74 Million were to die. 5 and a half Germans, 21 million Chinese, 21 million Russians, 6 million Jews, 3.5 million Japanese." No mention of losses on the Continent:: France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Yugoslavia, other Nazi dominated countries (Poland, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Roumania) to say nothing of Britain, India, Malaya, The United States, Canada Australia, New Zealand. Very sloppy IMO, though it is nice to hear China's losses acknowledged which they rarely are, and also the true Losses from Russia.

I'm hoping there may be some new footage I haven't seen before. Sad story, the Dutch Resistance was permeated by Nazi collaborators and was a dreadful hole into which British agents dropped never to be seen again. Belgium on the other hand was a very well run Resistance, at least half Communist, but very effective. The meaningful Resistance in France too was primarily Communist until 6th June when "Patriots" crawled out of the woodwork looking for recognition and medals after the war.

Yugoslavia on the other hand was a real civil war between the Communist Serbs and the pro Nazi Croats The Chetniks and the Ustasheh, who were just conitinuing the fight that began in 1914. Best book is Fitzroy MacLean's (Scottish enough?) "The Eastern Approaches". Josip Broz, the Croatian who led the Serbian Communists and later became Tito was a remarkably intelligent man and a great leader. And he never knuckled under to Stalin or any othe Communist leader. He kept Yugoslavia together and peaceful for his entire life. Clearly not the easiest of tasks, and he did so without extensive murders. He was strong enough to knock heads together and get agreement without pogroms. Jailings, yes, killings, very rare, not at all like the Greek civil war..

Reading about the Greek Civil war between the Nationalists and the Communists is a brutal story, and the movie "Eleni" is not a good representation. She was a Communist leader, the story is a whitewash of the quite vicious fighting and denouncing of neighbours that went on. Very ugly. The book was written by Eleni's son, and naturally she appears as the heroine, but she wasn't. She is reviled all over Greece.

Even more remarkable is Dilys Powell's story of Crete in the Second World War in "The Villa Ariadne" Ms. Powell was a recorder before the war at the archaeologicaldig at Knossos, King Minas' Palace, and knew all the archaeologists who became the British secret troops on Crete who captured General Kreipe and loaded him on a submarine and sent him to Alexandria, the only General smuggled out of an occuppied country. It too is a great read. Patrick Leigh Fermor who was part of the team capturing Kreipe walked from London, to Constantinople in the two years before the War, and has produced 3 beautiful volumes about that trip. The capture is covered in "Ill Met by Moonlight" by W. Stanley Moss, Fermor's partner in the job, or in "Abducting a General: The Kreipe Operation and SOE in Crete" by Fermor. Patrick Leigh Fermor is an award winning writer of travel and historical reminiscence. He writes like an angel.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found an old set of programs called World War 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found an old set of programs called World War 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Museum numbers broken down
by TONI H / October 20, 2014 9:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks Toni, that's just where I was about to go but other
by Rob_Boyter / October 21, 2014 6:33 AM PDT

things intervened yesterday. (Revenue Canada (our IRS) hasn't received my taxes mailed in May, just about a month late). They still should have gotten them and entered them within less than 4 weeks.

Rob

Collapse -
TV Series
by MelH / October 21, 2014 2:14 AM PDT

There is an excellent series called Apocalypse: The Second World War, produced by a French team and it is in BluRay.
It has also been entirely colourized a process I don't particularly care for, however this is the best colourization I have ever seen. It is a 6 part series that is well worth watching.
The same team are doing the same with the First World War but, I don't know if it has been released yet.

Collapse -
Thanks Mel. I agree about Colourization (sorry for the
by Rob_Boyter / October 21, 2014 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Series

Canadian/ British spelling but since I now live here, I made the effort to adapt). My personal favourite is the 1974 series The World At War, with Laurence Olivier doing the narration and lots of interviews with people who were there. Mostly black and white though whatever colour film there was, mostly of American operations, and some of German, is broadcast in colour. There was a 4 hour programme when we were in Britain called The Colour of War, which used only real colour film, some of which was quite good and which I had not seen.

There were shots of E-boats (English designation,) or S-booten (German designation) E for Enemy, S for Schnell or fast boats. They made MTB (Motor Torpedo Boats) and PT boats (Patrol Torpedo) look like cabin cruisers. S-Boats were steel, long with about 50% more armament than either the other two and were very deadly. Also very fast, meaning probably as fast or faster than a PT boat with a lower profile and diesel engines which made them less likely to catch fire.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.