Computer Help forum

General discussion

found an old laptop

by prettyone1432 / March 27, 2006 10:58 PM PST

i found a laptop the power goes on and thats it nothing comes up on the screen ill try to give as much info as i have figured out on the bottom of the laptop it says:
4040004f190396(looks like a bar code)
model:ts34xc
rating:9-15v=18w

hard drive table-type 49
capacity 120 mb
cylinder 980
head 15
sector 17

i took it apart and the hard rive says:
seagate modelst9145ag
the a drive says:citizen vida-46-b with a sticker that has the # 1994.3

i cannot find anything to identify the motherboard i know the computer does read the a drive i know its old but i figure i can put games on it at least anyone have any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: found an old laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: found an old laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Put it back together then...
by Edward ODaniel / March 27, 2006 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: found an old laptop

pop the battery out and see what it says on the battery. Often the make and model of a laptop can be determined from that. (unless the info you provided about model:ts34xc was on the battery in which case it is likely a SAGER or a SCEPTER or PEACOCK or SAMSUNG or similar)

Browse these links:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=%22ts34xc%22+with+%22laptop%22

http://www.laptop-computer-repairs.com/www.notebook-repair.net/Ultra_laptop_repair_LCDrepair.net.html

While you have it together put a boot floppy in the floppy drive and see if it will boot to the A:> prompt--it could be that the drive was simply wiped.

Collapse -
back together..
by prettyone1432 / March 28, 2006 12:26 AM PST

put back together dont have a boot disk cause i found the comp... when putting it back together inside the battery case(big long batteries(replaced by Ni-MH batt) i found 2 stickers that read phoenixbios a386sx
p81910
and

systemsoft
80c51sl
1990-1992
ax4143

would belarc help get anywhere from the a floppy????

Collapse -
Create a boot floppy. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 28, 2006 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: back together..

from bootdisk.com

Collapse -
It is starting to look like...
by Edward ODaniel / March 29, 2006 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: back together..

you might have an old 386 laptop although the size of the hard drive argues for a 486.

Wayne has told you where to get a boot diskette and I would recommend the DOS 6.22 rather than any of the Win 9X boot floppies.

Along with the boot diskette you will likely need a DOS utility for detecting hardware and other system info. You can go to this link and download the DOS VERSION of HWINFO http://www.hwinfo.com/ which can provide all sorts of information about the computer.

In case the hard drive has simply been wiped you will need an operating system for that laptop and here is a link to download the freeware DR-DOS (formerly Caldera DOS and before that DR-DOS again).
http://www.drdos.net/download.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.