Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Found a great tool

by tomron / February 24, 2006 10:57 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found a great tool
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found a great tool
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) tucows have alot more..
by Melati Hitam / February 24, 2006 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: Found a great tool
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) beware of adware/spyware
by Melati Hitam / February 24, 2006 4:10 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can you elaborate
by tomron / February 24, 2006 8:46 PM PST
Collapse -
As all we know, that many freeware
by Melati Hitam / February 24, 2006 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Can you elaborate

are containing adware/spyware...

Scan it, read about it, look for any references, before you install...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Much appreciated
by tomron / February 25, 2006 12:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Sysinternals is a completely reliable firm;
by Paul C / February 25, 2006 6:18 PM PST

you won't have a spyware/adware problem with their software.

Collapse -
Paul
by tomron / February 25, 2006 8:36 PM PST

Have you tried it?

Their is alot of info there,but not find a similar tool at tucows as mentioned.

Tom

Collapse -
It is a very handy utility for...
by Edward ODaniel / February 27, 2006 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Paul

monitoring startup apps.

Software available from Sysinternals (or their commercial software from Winternals) is dependable and has no "ad ware" or "spy ware" to worry about. For that matter the software you find on SoftPedia (where you linked to) is certified free of adware, spyware, and viral content by SoftPedia who monitors everything they link to or offer.

The mention of Tucows was simply to inform that similar types of startup application monitors are available through searching the Tucows site such as:
http://www.tucows.com/search?search_terms=startup&search_scope=win&search_adv=0&search_size=&search_size_multi=b

Collapse -
No need to worry...
by PKsteven / January 19, 2007 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Paul

Just used RKR (rootkitreavealer) yesterday, it seems a registry key from a freebie called Notables left it's droppings behind. Still can't determine if it's a rootkit or not, they guys at sysinternals forum are very helpful and have kept the key for future reference. My point is, these tools are EXTREMELY useful. I believe this was the set of tools that were originally by (can't remember name) and MS bought them out. I used some of these before MS bought them. Anywho, I don't think you'll be getting spyware from them. If you want to check for rootkits, use the above. Also to get rid of stubborn nulls, regdelnull is excellent. If someone doesn't know how to use them, I suggest reading first. I haven't gotten to use many of them as I only use them as I need them. And for everyone's info this is the original site off for these and a lot more....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

Cheers,

Paul

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Excellent SW tool....like everything from Sysinterals !
by VAPCMD / February 26, 2006 1:34 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I appreciate the feedback
by tomron / February 26, 2006 3:53 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?