Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Former Marine takes down man after clerk is hit

by Mark5019 / August 23, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

man who had just been released from jail was sent right back Monday after police say he picked the wrong store to attempt a robbery.
James Sjostrom The 30-year-old man was in line at a 7-Eleven, 2175 E. 9400 South, just before 8 p.m. When he got to the counter he asked the female clerk for a carton of cigarettes, said Sandy Police Sgt. Victor Quezada. But after he received them he walked out without paying, Quezada said.
The clerk told another female clerk who followed him outside the doors and told him to stop.
Instead, the man turned around and punched the clerk in the face, Quezada said.
James Sjostrom was standing in line right behind the man who took the cigarettes and saw the entire thing unfold.
"He just turned and clocked her," Sjostrom said. "He pounded her face. It was pretty vicious."
That's when Sjostrom went after the man who assaulted the store clerk.
As he went outside, Sjostrom said he saw the man standing over the clerk, who was kneeling over on the ground, as if he were going to punch her again. When the man saw Sjostrom coming at him, he took a swing at him, too.
But the attacker quickly found out he was no match for the bulky Sjostrom.
Sjostrom is a former Marine who taught hand-to-hand combat and currently teaches a course on Russian kettlebells, or the martial art of strength training, at the Sports Mall in Murray.
"I grabbed him, threw him on the ground, put his hands behind his back, sat on him and waited for the cops to come," Sjostrom said.
In just a matter of a few seconds Sjostrom had the man pinned. When the man realized he had no chance, Sjostrom said he became "pretty quiet."
"Anybody would have done the same thing," he said. "Another guy in the store said he was in the Army and asked if I needed any help."

hurah

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,645195431,00.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Former Marine takes down man after clerk is hit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Former Marine takes down man after clerk is hit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Message to clerk
by JP Bill / August 23, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

A carton of gigs/or anything in the store, ain't worth it.

Good Samaritan Stops Then Sits On Robbery Suspect

Sgt. Victor Quezada of the Sandy Police Department says it?s usually best to not put yourself in harm?s way, ?we appreciate all the help but don?t get your self hurt over some cigarettes. It?s not worth it.?

Collapse -
Sure, why not?
by marinetbryant / August 23, 2006 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Message to clerk

Let folks walk in and get what they want and walk out. Wouldn't have to worry about paying clerks. And let the guy pound the crap out of the clerk or maybe kill her. Laws do not apply to criminals, I guess.

Tom

Collapse -
it people like some
by Mark5019 / August 23, 2006 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure, why not?

here who think defending yourself, stoping robberies giev those people courage there to busy not wanting to get involved.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / August 23, 2006 10:21 AM PDT
Let folks walk in and get what they want and walk out.

I didn't say that.

If someone walks out without paying, get a description, and direction of travel, phone the police and let them do what they are paid to do.

And let the guy pound the crap out of the clerk or maybe kill her.

The clerk went out of the store and confronted the thief. If she stayed inside and phoned the police, she woulddn't have been beaten.

What's a carton of cigs cost down there?

How much does it cost to have an ambulance take the clerk to the hospital?
Collapse -
so the marine shoulda ignored it
by Mark5019 / August 23, 2006 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

or would you have him call the cops meanwhile the clerk was in danger?

Collapse -
Right
by marinetbryant / August 23, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

Like the police are going to spend many man-hours going after this guy. 5 will get you 10 if the store didn't make the clerk pay for the cigarettes because she didn't do anything. Again, it seems you believe that criminals shouldn't have to obey laws and that the police have all the time in the world. If I had been there, and armed, there wouldn't be a trial after he went after the clerk. Guess it's easier to not be involved and do the see no evil act or I don't want to get involved.

Tom

Collapse -
you know
by Mark5019 / August 23, 2006 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Right

see no evil say nothing

Collapse -
it seems you believe that criminals shouldn't have to obey l
by JP Bill / August 23, 2006 11:36 AM PDT

Then things aren't always what they seem.

Collapse -
I've really tried to give you the benefit of doubt
by marinetbryant / August 23, 2006 12:14 PM PDT

But with some of your inane posts, the doubt has been removed. Have a nice life.

Tom

Collapse -
Around here, the police wouldn't even respond.
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 1:16 PM PDT

They couldn't even pull the guy over because the clerk staying inside the store could not describe the car or license number. The clerks could wave good bye.

Collapse -
And in the cop's own words
by Steven Haninger / August 23, 2006 9:05 PM PDT
?we appreciate all the help but don?t get your self hurt over some cigarettes. It?s not worth it.?

Why should even the police put themselves in jeopardy over the smokes? The Marine only intervened when the criminal was in the act of harming a citizen....already too late for police. Whoever would dare to criticize the actions of this Marine deserves the pounding he would get if in the clerk's position rather than any assistance from bystanders. Wink
Collapse -
The thief has enough advantages
by Steven Haninger / August 23, 2006 11:14 AM PDT

Obstacle #1= Employees...but they are told to not resist but hand over the money or goods
Obstacle #2= Public citizens...but they are advised not to interfere with police responsibilites
Obstacle #3=Police...but they cannot be everywhere and have very strict rules when it comes to apprehending a suspect.

Now the thief expects a cake walk with all the odds in his favor. Other would be thieves find the risks low enough to want a piece of the action....but now steps in

Obstacle #4=Big Marine...who's taught that, when you see a problem, don't go looking for someone else to fix it. Do it yourself.

There's one obstacle a thief needs to know might present itself. Happy

Collapse -
When I worked
by Glenda / August 23, 2006 1:16 PM PDT

at Circle K we were told to never try to stop anyone, We were to call the police, If we went out of the store after some one we would be fired. This was after a clerk in Phoenix was shot dead trying to stop a guy from stealing a 25 cents pack of gum:( When they did beer runs I used to ask if they wanted chips with that and could I bag it for them:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great story!
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 8:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
No such thing as a "former" Marine and Semper Fi to him!
by Tony Holmes / August 23, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

BTW,that was one big ole boy if you watch the video in JP's link.

From his vantage point he was able to determine that the skinny weasel was unarmed and acted on instinct when he took after him.He was never in danger.

Collapse -
true bro
by Mark5019 / August 23, 2006 9:44 AM PDT

some people just have to try to put down anything good:)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?