Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Formatting Windows XP(HOME)

by dungarvon / April 27, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

I'm thinking about reformatting my home computer but, not having done it before, I went looking for instructions on how to do it.
I typed in reformat windows xp on Google and came across this site.
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm
There are 14 steps along with some diagrams showing what to do.
Based on these instructions, it looks like it's a fairly simple process.
Just wondering if anyone has used these instructions and how did things go?
Or to anyone who has reformatted their computer, are these instructions accurate?
I don't want to get started and then run into a bunch of suprises.
I know my way around a computer somewhat but, if things get too technical, then I'm not much good.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatting Windows XP(HOME)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatting Windows XP(HOME)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not that difficult
by crash314 / April 27, 2006 12:08 PM PDT

Pop in the XP CD, boot from it, follow the on-screen instructions. All pretty straight forward. You don't need any diagrams or anything like that if you are able to read and follow instructions.

Just be sure to back up anything you don't want to lose, and have any driver and program install CDs handy to save yourself some time later in the process. And if you want to save more time, there's no difference between a quick format and a regular format when the goal is simply reinstalling the operating system. But the quick format takes 15-20 seconds, and the normal format can take 15-20 minutes on a slow drive.

Collapse -
Good information. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 27, 2006 12:11 PM PDT

Be sure to take note of step 10. Also, if there is anything on the drive you want to save such as emails and addresses, email settings/accounts, favorites, pictures, documents, you must save them as they will all be gone. Burn these to a CD if possible.

It's really a "read the screen" type of operation.

After it's up and running you get the pleasure of updating XP. Again. And installing SP-2. Be sure to give yourself at least a day to complete everything.

It's not hard, I've built 4 machines and installed XP Home from scratch on each.

Collapse -
And this!
by Testy / April 27, 2006 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Good information. . .

I have never tried this but it might be worth a try:

If you have to reinstall Windows XP you normally will have to reactivate too. Well not anymore. Just copy wpa.dbl after you activated the first time. It is located in the WINDOWS\system32 folder. Now if you reinstall Windows XP just copy the file back and you're up and running again.

Collapse -
The preparation is
by glb613 / April 27, 2006 8:03 PM PDT

more difficult than the installation. I'd recommend you download, install and run Belarc then print out the results. It will show what is installed on your computer including product key numbers and hardware. Save everything you don't want to lose. And download all of the drivers for the hardware to work properly.

It is really an easy process. Follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine.

Collapse -
Preparation is the thing
by eddie11013 / April 28, 2006 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: The preparation is

If I may, I would like to suggest the following regarding reformatting your computer:
Print out instructions per your guide
Print out Belarc Advisor
Try and save everything first to a download data disc that you don?t want to lose, such as Export Favorites, My Documents and My Downloads, including your antivirus, antispyware, firewall and your ISP software, like roadrunner or Juno, etc.
You might also check : start/run/msconfig/startup tab and see what you have on startup, so that you can later compare
Run Scan Disk before reformatting
Unplug printer, scanner, cable modem and any other hardware
Reformat per instructions and install computer drivers, etc.
Check My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager for any yellow Exclamation points
Use your ?download data disc? and install your antivirus, antispyware and firewall at this time - to protect you ?before? you connect to the internet
Install your cable modem or ISP and connect to internet
Update all your antivirus, antispyware and firewall, and run these programs at least once before proceeding
Now your ready to download all windows updates and install your scanner, printer, monitor software, etc. If you set windows to update and notify, you can do other things while it is downloading and you don?t have to sit and wait for it to do its thing.
Once you have your antivirus and antispyware in place, you can now reinstall your ?My Documents?. You don?t want to carry over any ?bugs? from before, this is why you want your ?anti? programs in place.
Only a suggestion,
Eddie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.