Computer Help forum

General discussion

Formatting hard drive w/ out using XP Setup

by huzaifatalwala / June 27, 2005 12:21 PM PDT

Does anybody know of a way to format the operating system hard drive without using XP Setup? I want to do a clean install but XP keeps freezing during setup and I don't know what else to do at this point except get a new hard drive. Anybody that knows please help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatting hard drive w/ out using XP Setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatting hard drive w/ out using XP Setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are two ways:
by Paul C / June 27, 2005 7:52 PM PDT

1. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and get a bootdisk set that will allow you to format the drive;

2. Use the Windows XP Recovery Console.

You might want to try to run ''chkdsk /r'' (no quotes) when in the Recovery Console to fix any errors on the hard drive before going any further.

And, of course, backup to CD/DVD whatever you don't want to lose FIRST...

Collapse -
What I learned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 10:26 PM PDT

Never format with other tools. But I have used KILLDISK to wipe a drive clean to get a fresh start.

-> IF XP is hanging on install then this is a sign of troubles to come. Or you left some USB device plugged in and shouldn't have.

Your story is much too light to guess much further, but I share my lesson so you don't have to learn it again.

Bob

Collapse -
Wait
by Willy / June 27, 2005 10:48 PM PDT

Robert, has a good handle on what you should do, use KILLDISK. Same name for thier website. It will wipeout the HD and you can start anew. If you have the orginal HD tools or the those from the HD maker's support website, should get you a head-ups on what to expect. Though, you can try the XP CD to re-install, but if you hang again, give it time to correct or proceed, that can happen. Beforehand, have a minium system any "attached: device should be removed and any drivers CD, etc should be available later. NOW, if this is a restore or recovery XP CDs, then make sure your system is the way it came from the factory as much as possible, otherwise it will hang or simply take a real long time to error and then post a message, so wait for that. Give us the details of your install,s ystem, OS, ram, etc for a better answer.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?