Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Formatting and a bit more.

by Amer Jarrar / July 21, 2007 12:12 AM PDT

Hi,
I want to have a fresh system so I decided to format, Now I have two Windows XP installed, I want to get rid of everything and start fresh. I inserted the windows XP CD, selected Fresh copy and went on with the process, I was given the choice to Convert to NTFS but no option to repartition of format drives. is this because I have two operating systems.

I will be grateful if someone could tell me how to remove everything and start from the begning.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatting and a bit more.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatting and a bit more.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think you formatted.
by Kees Bakker / July 21, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

Because the format would have erased the whole drive, including the existing copy of Windows.

Tell exactly what you did: questions of setup and answers you gave. One of them must have been wrong.

You could use a program called DBAN (free download) to erase everything on the disk, including partition data and start all over as if it was a new disk, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
steps of what I did
by Amer Jarrar / July 21, 2007 12:32 AM PDT

When I start the computer I get the choice of two windows Xp systems, I usually use the second one. I click it and go to the normal windows.
I inserted the windows XP CD and asked for a windows installation, I selected "Fresh Copy" Click next then I got a notic of converting to NTFS from Fat32 and i accepted it . The computer restarted and went to the blue screen, I pressed "ESC" to setup windows Xp not repaire, Then the computer finished the setup without giving the choice of repartitioning and formating. the setup finished, but My C drive is almost full because of the other windows XP that is still there.

Thanks In advance

Collapse -
Starting an installation from within Windows
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: steps of what I did

I think that's the problem. When you inserted the disk you should have canceled out of any setup procedure and returned to the Desktop before rebooting.

Reboot with the CD inside the drive, then follow the procedures for installing the OS. You should then see the options for deleting existing partitions.

Mark

Collapse -
Hello
by Amer Jarrar / July 21, 2007 3:47 AM PDT

Its not booting from the CD, Why? I really dont know. is there another way to delete all operating systems other than the main one I am using?

Thanks

Collapse -
You need to change your BIOS settings
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello

You need to set the BIOS to boot from a CD.

Mark

Collapse -
Its set
by Amer Jarrar / July 21, 2007 4:36 AM PDT

I did that, but still not booting. is there a way to delete all the operating systems. or at least delete the one that I am not using.

sorry for all the trouble

Collapse -
That suggests the CD is faulty
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 6:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Its set

Tell us more about this XP CD. If it is a copy of the original XP CD do you still have the original?

Mark

Collapse -
Its a copy of the original that my brother bought
by Amer Jarrar / July 22, 2007 10:47 PM PDT

Its a copy of the original that my brother bought, no I dont have the original with me, I got another XP CD and will try it today and see if that works.

Collapse -
You got another XP CD
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2007 10:54 PM PDT

Is that also a copy? Or is it a genuine XP CD from someone else who is also using XP?

Or did you purchase this CD from a retailer?

Mark

Collapse -
its copy of original
by Amer Jarrar / July 22, 2007 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: You got another XP CD

I can't buy two OS for one computer !, Its from a friend its his backup copy I will try it and give it back to him, hope it works.

Collapse -
Sorry, I've locked this discussion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2007 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: its copy of original

Using copies of a genuine XP installation disk is illegal and is considered Piracy.

Once you have purchased the full retail version of XP perhaps your problems will resolve themselves.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Re-opened.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 24, 2007 6:41 PM PDT

In response to further information received through private emails I have unlocked this discussion. The further information is as follow;

"Hello and thanks for the quick reply, please be assured that I am against piracy and will never pirate windows XP, I have been trying to solve this for almost two weeks I tried My OWN original Windows And the same problem, so I have been trying on other XP CDs those are the ones I told you about. I am an expreienced user and have formated computers hundreds of times thats why I insisted to get it fixed, I have been trying different methods, I assure you again That I have no intention to pirate anything, thats why I was shocked by you locking the topic, you could have asked for an explainantion before locking the topic, because this really made me feel insulted,I have been around in Cnet forum for almost 4 years and was never accused with anything like this.
I hope that this offers enough explaination but if you need anything else please ask.

Regards
Amer"

I accept that Amer is not attempting to circumvent copyright and anti-piracy rules. I hope you understand that any mention of "borrowing" other people's XP installation disks suggests such illegal activity and we clamp down on those discussions as quickly as possible.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.