PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Formatting a slave drive?

by martylk2 / June 24, 2004 11:14 AM PDT

I have a secondary HD in my new PC. It came from my old PC. How do I format it?

I tried formatting it but a message pops up telling me I can't because it is being used or something like that.

Is there a way of formatting it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatting a slave drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatting a slave drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't say what Op Sys
by Ray Harinec / June 24, 2004 11:27 AM PDT

Do you know what the drive letter is??

If so just insert a boot floppy [that matches your Operating System], When you get to the A prompt, lets first be sure of the drive letter. Simply type the drive letter and a: and hit enter. Prompt should change to that letter. Then type DIR and hit enter. See that the files shown are the ones that you know are on that drive. If they are type A: hit enter and get back to the A prompt. Then type Format[drive letter]: and hit enter. Some will say to also add space /S to put the system files on it. You don't want to do this for the slave drive.

Collapse -
Re: You didn't say what Op Sys
by martylk2 / June 24, 2004 12:15 PM PDT

Sorry, I just now caught your question.

The OS is XP. Master is "C", slave is "E".

Collapse -
I should have ead this earlier. In XP
by Ray Harinec / June 24, 2004 12:46 PM PDT

the formatting can be done from within XP by getting into Disk Management.

It'll do everything for you. There are a number of ways to get to Disk Management but I'm on my Win 98 machine. haven't used my XP system for a couple of weeks to remmber how I get there.

Collapse -
Re: Formatting a slave drive?
by martylk2 / June 24, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

Thanks for the info. I have a new question, though.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use a secondary drive. Right now the only thing I can figure out what to use it for is overflow. What I mean is using it as storage.

What I can't figure out is how to install programs on it and have them run from ...say the desktop or perhaps in the "all programs" menu of the start menu.

Is this even possible? Or is a secondary drive more like a glorified flash card, external drive or something along those lines? That can only be used as storage that must be accessed by selecting that drive?

Maybe I need sometyhing like a RAID controller?

Collapse -
It is easy to install programs/applications
by Ray Harinec / June 24, 2004 12:39 PM PDT

to the drive of your choice.

To save some typing later, I create a Program Files folder on every drive / partition whatever . You will note that almost every Tom, ****, and Harry program wants to install on C: Program Fies\blah\blah.

Virtually all programs give you the option to change the place to install the program. Just watch carefully for the option.[quite often it is a "browse" button]. Then when it gives the path C: Program Files blah blah, in most cases you can simply use the arrow key to move to the C and change it to the letter that you want.{no need to rertype anything else]. It may say that the folder doesn't exist and ask if you want it to create thefolder. Simply click yes.

You must have the discipline to ALWAYS choose CUSTOM install because if you accept the "Normal" or "Typical" installation the program will not offer the option of changing the location.

For app's that are currently on the Master, they can also be relocated but I'll save that for a Toni Hackler post.

Moving files is simply a matter of copying them to the other drive, but the Applications are different because the .dll's and other system links must change with the relocation.

For example with MS Office or such things you can leave the App where it is but simply change the location where the files, letters, et al are saved.

Now the larger applications, even though it allows installation on another drive, may still install a small portion on the boot drive to establish the necessary links to the operating system.

RAID is an entirely different thing. It is a way to get drives to effectively run faster by writing to two drives"at Once"

Collapse -
With Win XP there is the
by Ray Harinec / June 24, 2004 9:04 PM PDT

Files/settings transfer wizard. I thin k that will do everything that you want.

Don't be surprised if XP changes your drive letters when you are done. You can change them back if desired.

Collapse -
Re: With Win XP there is the
by martylk2 / June 25, 2004 1:35 PM PDT

Thank you for your great assistance. I'm up and running. I've formatted the drive, and I now have installed programs on it.

I have to remember to make a new folder for each program that I install. I originally made a folder and named it "Program files". I installed one program easily. When I installed the next program I didn't realize it wouldn't seperate itself from the files of the previous program.

A little trial and error always pays off - the learning process. Now, whenever I install a program, all I have to do is go into the "Program files" folder and make a sub-folder. I then can select that sub-folder as the file path. There's probably an easier, more automatic way but hey, it gets the job done and I'm fine with that.

Collapse -
For this case
by Ray Harinec / June 26, 2004 12:20 AM PDT

""When I installed the next program I didn't realize it wouldn't seperate itself from the files of the previous program.""

I simply note the name that the Program would use for the sub-folder(s) and then hit back and change the drive letter and add the subfolders as noted.

I'm glad that you got things working the way you want them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.