Computer Help forum

General discussion

by iwan_antonius / November 30, 2004 11:34 AM PST

Is it true that formatting computer routinely can spoil or destroy the hard disk?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really. It and defrag are
by Ray Harinec / November 30, 2004 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Formatting

somewhat similar. If you did it every day it might shorten the life, although defrag probably wouldn't do much data movement if done every day, but formatting would.

Formatting certainly spoils the data. LOL

Collapse -
Re: Not really. It and defrag are
by iwan_antonius / December 1, 2004 12:03 PM PST

So, formatting routinely could shorten the life of the computer, but who would? ^-^ but, does defrag cause harm too, if we do it everyday?

Collapse -
Iwan, The 'Defrag' Issue Has Been Discussed Before...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 1:37 AM PST

...and at great length.. Here's a link:

Generally, Defragging isn't necessary on a daily basis, although some insist on doing so. For most home users, every two weeks to once a month works fine. It doesn't appear that defragging daily does much harm to the hard drive. They're designed to last longer than most users keep them.

In regards to routinely formatting the computer, I find no reason to format unless the computer is running badly. There isn't sufficient "gain" by doing so and there can be a lot of lost time and effort to reinstalling everything again. I work with computers that have run well for 7-8 years which have NEVER been reformatted. I've got a 6 year old Windows 98 machine which was reformatted within the first 3 months but has never been formatted again. (It came with some corrupted files from the factory.) My current Windows XP SP2 HOME machine is a year old now and I dont' intend on doing a reformat and reinstall unless I have to.

For most users, keep up with computer maintenance and it's simply not necessary.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?