Computer Help forum

General discussion

formatting 3 1/2" diskettes ( HD 1.44 Mb & DD 720KB)

by kolla / March 19, 2007 12:47 AM PDT

I have 2 computers running Win2K PRO & Win XP Pro. They are both P111 733 MHZ generic machines. I have several HD (1.44MB) and DD (720KB)
diskettes which I need for my line of work. When I try to format these
diskettes I get quite a few of them that give me a message " Windows is unable to format --- The file system is RAW ".

I know there is a way to format these diskettes by going to the command prompt c:\ and typing: Format a:\ and a set of parameters... but I have misplaced the instructions. Can you help me with this problem please?

I know the diskette drives are wotking OK.There is nothing wrong with
them,because they work well otherwise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: formatting 3 1/2" diskettes ( HD 1.44 Mb & DD 720KB)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: formatting 3 1/2" diskettes ( HD 1.44 Mb & DD 720KB)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: formatting
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2007 6:38 AM PDT

Like all well-behaved command-line commands format shows its parameters if you add /? to the command: format /?

This particular error, together with a copy of that parameters, is treated in http://www.ss64.com/nt/format.html

I understand RAW to mean "unformatted". Nothing wrong with that.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
My question is why 720?
by ahtoi / March 19, 2007 8:26 AM PDT

I am not sure if you can still get 720 media from the store or not but a 1.44 floppy drive can be had for under $10.\; and I think 1.44 media are still available in the store.

Collapse -
Indeed ...
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2007 9:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: formatting diskettes:
by kolla / March 20, 2007 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Indeed ...

Thanks ever so much for the help! Tried it all but still no dice. Even got myself a new floppy drive!

Collapse -
Probably defective diskettes then.
by Kees Bakker / March 20, 2007 11:48 PM PDT

1. Try them on another PC. If they give the same error there, throw them away. Old soldiers never die, but old diskettes surely do!
2. Buy a package of new diskettes, format them on another PC. What happens if you reformat them on your PC?

Kees

Collapse -
To tell you the truth, I don't think we understand ..
by ahtoi / March 21, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

your problem/s.

The only time you need a 720 floppy is when your floppy drive is 720 because a 1.44 drive will read 720 with no problem.

I got a feeling that these floppy might be written with a different file system.

One other thing which thrown me off is you only talk about reformating and not about reading the informations on the floppy. That's why we suggest just get some new floppys.

Collapse -
If the message is that the type is RAW...
by Edward ODaniel / March 21, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

if means that the floppy boot sector is corrupt.

If you are conversant with disk probe (Dskprobe.exe), a utility that comes with resource kits, you could copy the boot sector from another floppy that you KNOW was formatted the same as the one reporting problems and write it to the damaged floppy.

That would give you access again IF the boot sector is only corrupt and not physically damaged (which can easily happen with floppies).

You could also try it (the bad floppy) in another drive to see if possibly the problem is simply track alignment.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?