Computer Help forum

General discussion

Formatted hard drive and re-installed Windows XP....

by BiggDaddyPeep / May 5, 2005 3:00 PM PDT

and now my USB ports no longer work. I installed the drivers from a disk that came with the computer and it still won't recognize when I plug anything into any USB port. When I check the staus in device manager it claims that my USB host controller is working. Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatted hard drive and re-installed Windows XP....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatted hard drive and re-installed Windows XP....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you know?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 9:52 PM PDT

That Microsoft doesn't fetch or install motherboard and more drivers for us?

Also, USB 2.0 doesn't work in XP. Once you get the motherboard and such drivers (that MS doesn't do for you) SP1 is needed to get USB 2.0 to work.

This is an OLD OS so you still get to do this the old fashioned way.

Bob

Collapse -
USB not eorking after reinstall....
by Papa Echo / May 5, 2005 10:16 PM PDT
I installed the drivers from a disk that came with the computer

What drivers ? What does the CD label say ? or the contents of the "Read Me" file or similar ?
Collapse -
RE: USB not working
by BiggDaddyPeep / May 6, 2005 6:47 AM PDT

The CD says Mainboard Utility CD. It is a computer that I bought from Computer's Builder Warehouse. The CD contains my graphics drivers, chipset drivers, audio drivers, network drivers, and my USB drivers. After re-formatting. I had no sound, after installing the audio drivers, my speakers then worked....same for everything else except my USB. I don't have SP2 installed....any ideas?

Collapse -
Make sure that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2005 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: USB not working

USB is enabled in the BIOS and the drivers are the latest. A "CD" will have dated drivers which ... Microsoft will not fetch for us.

Is the USB items in the Device Manager?

More about USB at http://www.usbman.com

Collapse -
In device manager it says.....
by BiggDaddyPeep / May 6, 2005 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Make sure that...

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
-USB printing support
-USB root hub
-USB root hub
-USB root hub
-USB root hub
-VIA rev 5 or later USB universal host controller
-VIA USB 2.0 enhanced host controller

All devices state that they are working properly, and my keyboard and mouse do indeed work. But, when I try to hook anything into the front 2 USB 2.0 ports, they are not even recognized....any help now?

Collapse -
BIG CLUE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2005 1:37 PM PDT

So the back ports work?

Bob

Collapse -
Back ports....
by BiggDaddyPeep / May 6, 2005 5:24 PM PDT
In reply to: BIG CLUE?

do indeed work. But for the life of me, I can't get the fron ones to work.

Collapse -
That helps!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2005 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Back ports....

The front ports are often incorrectly wired with less than USB 2.0 speed cables. And therefore fail on many devices.

I think cheers are in order since you have accomplished all the software and drivers part of the work.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks.....
by BiggDaddyPeep / May 7, 2005 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: That helps!

This was my first time re-formatting my hard drive and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Considering that I went into the whole procedure blindly, I think I did alright. Now, if only I could figure out how to get those dang front ports working correctly I'd be all set.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?