Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Formating PC

by Orch94 / August 7, 2010 1:24 AM PDT

Hey all, just wondering...

Is it possible to copy the 2 main folders: Program files and My documents to a portable harddrive,

Then format your whole computer, set everything up and then copy over like the big games over from the portable harddrive?

I've been told it was installed with a differnet version of windows XP, but couldnt i just format using the same verson of XP?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / August 7, 2010 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Formating PC

No, is the short answer.

The documents folder would probably work, but the Programs File one wouldn't. At least not on Windows. If it were a Mac, then yes, but Windows stashes files all over the place, plus there are registry entries that would need to be recreated.

Collapse -
Hmm ok
by Orch94 / August 7, 2010 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: No

Thanks for the reply,

Me and my brother are connected through LAN and his World of Warcraft folder stuffed up,

So i dragged my current Warcraft folder, chucked it on the networking folder, he dragged it and simply ran it off there, no problems,

can you explain this one? Cheers

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!