Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Formating non windows drive

I got a HDD 40GB from a friend of mine. He had Novell in it. When the drive is connected as master, it starts Novell and repeatedly searches for Novell boot from floppy and CD. I wanted to have windows in that drive and I have connected this drive to another system as a slave and formatted it completely. Now the disk shows that it is empty. My question is, is my process of formatting a Non Windows Drive correct. If not, please guide me to a correct Cnet Tips n Tricks page.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formating non windows drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formating non windows drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some more details to add

In reply to: Formating non windows drive

I have more details to add. When I checked the properties of the drive after formating, it was showing that 70MB used, it should have shown 0 bytes used. What is that 70 mb. I cannot see any file even after un-hiding. How can I get back my full hdd space back.

Collapse -
Sounds fine

Sounds fine, and if it works, it can't be all wrong now can it?

Also, be sure to branch out a little more. Cnet is a good resource when you're just starting out with computers, but you should outgrow it pretty quickly to be honest. Think of it like the Kindergarten of computer learning. Lays the basic foundation for everything to come, but there's really not a lot of substance. So be sure to master the art of using a search engine like Google to find answers to questions. Probably sooner rather than later, you'll run into a situation way beyond anything Cnet will have information on.

Collapse -
39.30 GB Novell hard drive

If you erased the 40 GB Novell hard drive to zero it is ready to install Windows XP on it. I wish you would have said you erased it with this: It would have told you the hard drive passed or failed.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Maxtor_Powermax_d1386.html

In any event the small 70 MB's missing is correct...they never display to the number listed and it is to complicated to explain here...

Boot to your 40GB hard drive and install Windows XP on it.

Cheers:
Jimmy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.