1. if the 2 "discs" you have are Quick Recovery", then you don't have many options as these discs will reformat-repartition your Hdd and reinstall the orignal Brand Name OS (operating system).
2. if you had a retail version, single disc, of XP PRO and a valid Product key, you could have a dual boot Hdd with W98SE and XP Pro, but your Hdd should be 10gb minimum. You still need DELPART.EXE to wipe the NTFS XP partition, then repartition 3gb/4gb/3gb as one will be storage-backup, then format all 3 FAT32.
3. Your problem with W98SE is that it is limited on mobo chipset and other drivers. Main websites, like Dell, do not offer mobo drivers for less than Win2000, and you'd have to go to the mobo mfg or chipset website to find, hopefully, chipset drivers. Whatever separate cards you have will require a driver search, video-sound-modem-NIC-other. If any or all of these are on the mobo, you'd have to see the chipset numbers and search for drivers. Some sre built into the secondary chipset, northbridge and southbridge, likely video is. I got lucky recently as this was the case for all including sound, AC97, and NIC.
4. if you have changed enough hardware on your current PC, the Quick Restore discs will work, System Recovery won't, and your XP Pro may then be seen as invalid by Microsoft, for update and registration purposes, requiring you to purchase a retail CD anyway.
5. at any rate, see www.bootdisk.com or google delpart.exe, 123kb, and add it to your current W98SE bootdisk. Delpart.exe= delete partition in DOS mode.
i am trying to format my hard drive its running xp pro
i want to install windows 98. i have both discs but only have 98 floppy disc.
any help on how to do it.