Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

format & reinstall win98

by rp10092 / July 14, 2005 10:14 PM PDT

Trying to help a friend to format and reinstall win98. She formatted C: and on trying to reinstall win98 she couldn't get the setup to run from the CD. she decided to install a copy of win 3.1 she had on floppy and then upgrade to win98 from there. setup seemed to run fine thru all 7 floppy disks. setup then requested her to reboot to complete the setup and when she did she got a message that setup the version of DOS (6.2)was not compatible with win3.1 .
I downloaded boot floppys from www.bootdisk.com for win98 and boot500.exe to try and format again and copy the win98 cd to the hard drive and install from there but now any command I try I get the message "Bad command or file name"
The following is how the command prompt screen appears at bootup:

C:\> C:\windows\smartdrv.exe /L

memory resident portion of SmartDrive is loaded

C:\> Path C:\windows;

C:/> set temp=C:\windows\temp

C:\>

Does anyone Know where we can go from here?
thanks in advance for any help provided!!
rp10092

Posted by: rp10092 (see profile) - 07/15/2005 4:57 AM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: format & reinstall win98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: format & reinstall win98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
After the format. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 14, 2005 11:23 PM PDT

with the W98 boot disk, did you/she type, at the A:\ prompt, sys c:\ If not, the system files were not transfered to the target, C:\ drive. In all the installations of W98 I have done the prodecure is as follows, all done from the A:\ prompt with the boot floppy in the floppy drive and the W98 CD in the CD drive.

format c:\
sys c:\
setup

The setup command installs W98 from the CD. You also have to choose ''start with CD support''.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
The error you're receiving now
by TONI H / July 15, 2005 6:35 AM PDT

is because the FORMAT command you originally used formatted the drive in FAT32 and W3.1 uses FAT16 and requires DOS to be installed first. You would have had to use the DOS bootdisks in order to format the drive, install DOS, and then install W3.1 as the last step.

What you need to do now is to use the W98 bootdisk you got, type FDISK, and enable large disk support if asked.

Now choose to DELETE PRIMARY DOS PARTITION...follow the prompts as given, then immediately without rebooting CREATE A PRIMARY DOS PARTITION and use the whole drive and make it active when prompted. Now Reboot again with the boot disk in the drive.

Now at the A: prompt, type FORMAT C:/S and press Enter.

Once it's formatted correctly again, change to the drive letter that loaded the cdrom drivers (usually R with a downloaded bootdisk), and with the W98 cd in the drive, type SETUP.

The installation should now complete.....and make sure you have the Product Code Key or the install won't finish.

TONI

Collapse -
re: The error your recieving now
by rp10092 / July 15, 2005 9:37 PM PDT

I wont have a chance to try this till Mon.
iwill let you know how I made out. Thanks alot for the info Toni!!!
rp10092

Collapse -
Suggested instructions attempt
by rp10092 / July 17, 2005 10:55 PM PDT

Mon. 7-18-05

Toni,
Tried your instructions today. I booted with the W98 bootdisk and at the c: promt typed FDISK and pressed enter. I got same error message as mentioned before ''Bad command or file name''.

What should I try next?

Sorry to be a pain but this situation is really starting to BUG ME.

Thanks for your help!!

rp10092

Collapse -
Was this a downloaded bootdisk?
by TONI H / July 17, 2005 11:10 PM PDT

If so, you need to actually click the .exe file you downloaded, put a clean floppy disk in the drive, and it will create the bootdisk for you with all the commands and programs needed including cdrom support that will be for drive letter R:

You cannot just copy the .exe file to the floppy disk as you downloaded it because it is actually a program that needs to run to make the disk for you.

TONI

Collapse -
new bootdisk
by rp10092 / July 18, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

Hi Toni,

I remade W98 bootdisk per your instructions. Booted with new disk. Typed FDISK at C: prompt, still same result "bad command or file name".

rp10092

Collapse -
FDISK would be on A:
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2005 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: new bootdisk

It appears you changed to C: ? or the diskette didn't boot.

Collapse -
re: FDISK would be on A:
by rp10092 / July 18, 2005 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: FDISK would be on A:

Hi Robert,
Got your message, will try again Tues. 7-19. I will let you know the results.

Thank you for the info!!

rp10092

Collapse -
re: run fdisk on A:
by rp10092 / July 18, 2005 9:51 PM PDT

Hi Robert, 7-19-05

I have made progress. I ran fdisk at the A: prompt following the directions from Toni H. as follows:

What you need to do now is to use the W98 bootdisk you got, type FDISK, and enable large disk support if asked.

Now choose to DELETE PRIMARY DOS PARTITION...follow the prompts as given, then immediately without rebooting CREATE A PRIMARY DOS PARTITION and use the whole drive and make it active when prompted. Now Reboot again with the boot disk in the drive.

Now at the A: prompt, type FORMAT C:/S and press Enter.

Once it's formatted correctly again, change to the drive letter that loaded the cdrom drivers (usually R with a downloaded bootdisk), and with the W98 cd in the drive, type SETUP.

The installation should now complete.....and make sure you have the Product Code Key or the install won't finish.

At the A: prompt I ran fdisk and enabled large disk support. I deleted the primary DOS partition and then created a primary DOS partition. When I rebooted as instructed the screen that came up lists:

Floppy Drives
Memory size
Hard Disks
Plug and Play Devices
PCI Devices

the last line reads as follows:

Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK
with just a cursor flashing below (no prompt)
This screen just hangs there and wont permit any typed commands?
Where should I go from here?

Thanks,
rp10092

Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2005 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: re: run fdisk on A:

I re-read the instructions and I see you did a great job of creating a partition, but it's not formatted yet.

Why not review the instructions and see what you missed?

Bob

Collapse -
re: just wondering
by rp10092 / July 18, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

hi robert,
This project must be turning my brain to mush. I have reread the instructions and am not seeing what I missed. I know I have yet to format C: using the /s switch but I am not able to bring up the A: prompt to execute this command.

thanks for your patience and assistance. If I get trough this project Ican bet I won't ever forget the process!
rp10092

Collapse -
The a: prompt appears...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2005 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: re: just wondering

When you boot from that diskette you made. But that was covered.

Bob

Collapse -
re: a: prompt appears
by rp10092 / July 19, 2005 12:17 AM PDT

Therein lies the problem of my current situation,
After I created the partition & Rebooted with the disk I made as instructed I am know getting no prompt at all.
I am beginging to feel dumber by the minute. LOL
rp

Collapse -
Ahh, a nonbooting floppy drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: re: a: prompt appears

It's just a few parts. Boot diskette, drive, cable, motherboard and ... BIOS set to boot the floppy first.

Again, this is just a short recap of what's been written so far. If you can't make a boot diskette then ask a friend to make one for you and ask they test it. I would do this for my neighbor...

Bob

Collapse -
Yes Robert gave you the answer.
by Ray Harinec / July 18, 2005 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: new bootdisk

FDISK is on the floppy, which is the A prompt.

FDISK would only be on the C drive if you formatted using the /s option. [that is install the DOS system files to the C drive], but even then you can't do a format or any such thing on the drive in which the program you are trying to run is located.

Simply work from the A prompt.

Collapse -
One more thought
by Steven Haninger / July 15, 2005 11:05 AM PDT

You may not need to install Win 3.1 first. Check and see if the Win 98 CD is an upgrade version. Upgrade versions require you to qualify that you own a previous version of software. This can be done by having it already installed but, sometimes, you might just need to have a valid copy of an original disk handy. I know this is true with CD versions but have not tried with floppies. Try putting disk 1 of Win 3.1 in the floppy drive and booting from the CD. An upgrade version of the software will search for a qualifying previous copy or installation. It may find the floppy or ask you to point to a valid copy. Finding the floppy might make Win 98 happy and enough to continue with the installation. Good luck

Collapse -
I just finished format c:
by Glenda / July 16, 2005 3:58 AM PDT

and from there I used the start up disk and used the disk to load cd-rom put in my win98Se cd and everything loaded fine:) Good luck!
Now I have to format my husbands PC! All of this to just get IE6 to work again after changing over to MSN DSL! AT&T had a special version of IE6 and it just quit after I installed MSN on both PC's A PITA!

Collapse -
You probably have the wrong boot floppy so lets start here
by Earth9111 / July 19, 2005 7:36 PM PDT

1. (in DOS) TYPE Format C:
2.You will lose all files type Y ENTER LET RUN COURSE
3.(YOU MUST CHANGE DRIVE C to D) TYPE d/setup.exe ENTER
4.Then type( setup)
5Remember the boot floppy must be in floppy drive
6. Get your Windows 98 CD because you will be prompt to use it
7. installation will begin,its that easy
8. Good luck!!!!

Collapse -
I have two boot floppys and only one works
by Earth9111 / July 19, 2005 7:40 PM PDT

You will get the wrong command until eternity or until you have the right Boot floppy

Collapse -
Response to Bob, et al
by TONI H / July 19, 2005 10:03 PM PDT

>>>>Ahh, a nonbooting floppy drive.
It's just a few parts. Boot diskette, drive, cable, motherboard and ... BIOS set to boot the floppy first.

Again, this is just a short recap of what's been written so far. If you can't make a boot diskette then ask a friend to make one for you and ask they test it. I would do this for my neighbor...

Bob >>>>>

The fact that there is no floppy prompt may well be something in the bios that isn't set for booting from that particular drive as the first option; however, I also wonder if possibly by accident he actually formatted the floppy disk instead of the C: drive when he first attempted the format and now because the disk is empty, the bios is just bypassing it and trying to go directly to the C: drive which is also now empty and waiting for instructions to install the operating system.

I would suggest a new bootdisk to be created and then tested....

TONI

Collapse -
It's happened to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Response to Bob, et al

The owner would type C: after the floppy boot because "that's what I usually see when I boot to DOS."

It's a good skill to have to learn how to install Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and now 2003. It's sad that Microsoft never made these easy to install as that other machine. It will haunt them in 2006...

Bob

Collapse -
Update for Toni & Bob
by rp10092 / July 19, 2005 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Response to Bob, et al

I have remade and tested the bootdisk on another computer and it functions fine. I am assuming that the Bios is not set to boot from A: first but when I press DEL as instructed on the screen to enter Bios (to check boot sequence and adjust as necessary) it is asking me to enter current password. This computer I am trying to repair was given to this dear old lady I'm trying to help secondhand and the previous owner doesn't remember ever going into the bios so has no clue what the password is. The computer system was built locally by a small computer store so I am going to try to go see them and see if I can get some more info? I will keep you updated.
thanks again for all your help!!
rp10092

Collapse -
I'm confused
by TONI H / July 19, 2005 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Update for Toni & Bob

were you able to boot with the bootdisk prior to this and actually get an A: prompt in order to format the C: drive? Reading your other posts gives the indication that it did.

Have you tried the new bootdisk in this computer?

Who made the computer? Compaq, PBell, HPackert, etc? There are vendor default passwords that can be typed if we knew which company...however, you can also get around this password by just removing the internal battery (looks like a large flat wristwatch type battery) for about ten minutes, put it back in and then reboot the computer. This resets the CMOS/BIOS back to factory defaults and should eliminate the password that's in it.

Then you should be able to enter the bios setup and check the boot sequence so it is set for A,C,CDROM and get it to boot back up with the floppy disk.

TONI

Collapse -
Toni H. : battery removal
by rp10092 / July 20, 2005 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused

Toni H.
Sorry if I confused you, this fiend had told me she had used the startup disk so I assumed (bad move on my part)that the unit would boot from the floppy but that is not the case.

I tried removing the battery as suggested but it still asks for current password.
This computer was built at a locally owned computer shop that is no longer in business (it figures) so it is more of a generic composite as opposed to a Namebrand such as Compaq, HP, Dell etc.

The unit has an MSI-ATX Mainboard A5169msv2.3 070398,

AMIBIOS 586 from American Megatrends with a BIOS String of:

51-0703 000000 00111111-071595-41E_43C-MS5169-T99-0

The chipset is ALi IV+ M1543 Super TX

Is this enough info for you to find a vendor default password?

Thanks,
rp10092

Collapse -
Is this a Black and White bootscreen
by TONI H / July 21, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

that asks for the password or is this a 'windows' type password dialog box that shows a username and waits for the password to be entered?

If it's the dialog box type, just press OK and it will bypass it completely and continue to boot up.

If it's the black and white screen asking for the BIOS password you have options....but I don't understand why removing the battery wouldn't have done it unless it is specifically set up to ask for a password by factory defaults. There is also a jumper on the motherboard that has three pins...two are covered at a time, and usually 1-2 pin position is ON and 2-3 pin position is OFF...so you could turn off the computer, find the CMOS pins (clearly marked as such) on the motherboard, move the jumper to the OFF position, wait about ten minutes, and then put the pins back to the ON position, and turn on the computer.

If you no longer get the bios password screen, enter the bios, and set the boot sequence to be A,C,CDROM and with the bootdisk in the drive, SAVE AND EXIT...and the computer will reboot by itself.

Here are other options which include vendor motherboard default passwords that you can try:

http://www.pcwarfare.com/m-boards/bios.pwd.issues.htm

TONI

Collapse -
Toni H.
by rp10092 / July 21, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the latest info. I will try all sugestions but probably won't be able to do so until Mon. 07-25-05

I will let you know how I make out!

I hope we are getting to the end of this marathon issue, I hate having to take up so much of your time.
I do appreciate all your help.

Sincerely,
rp10092

Collapse -
BIOS Password reseting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2005 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Update for Toni & Bob

While I'm a bit fearless in this area, I know to remove the power cords, then the cover and look for the either a password reset jumper (some do have such) or the BIOS reset jumper.

I then take the BIOS safe defaults, set the time and then change it to boot for diskette.

Bob

Collapse -
Toni & Bob: SUCCESS!!!!
by rp10092 / July 26, 2005 11:39 PM PDT

I have finally had success in putting this Marathon procedure to rest. Everything is now reloaded and running fine.

Thanks so much to all for your help and support in resolving this issue. It is a great feeling to know that there are still people in this world willing to take time to help someone they dont even know.

I hope in the future to be able to pass forward this same ideal.

Sincerely,
rp10092

Collapse -
Great news
by TONI H / July 27, 2005 12:13 AM PDT

The key to your success has been that you were not only willing to do the work based on suggestions from complete strangers......but that you were willing to trust those strangers in the first place.

KUDOS to you..........

TONI

Collapse -
Thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2005 12:23 AM PDT

May I write that your tenacity is part of the solution. You were able to stick with it and dive in as needed with instructions from here and elsewhere.

Keep this attitude and you'll have the basement finished and the solar power unit installed.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!