Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Format Issue.

Forumsters,
when i put a floppy disc in the floppy drive and click it,i get messaged"please insert disc".If i right click and select the format option,i get messaged after a few seconds,"windows was unable to complete format".If i click the ok tab on that message,i get another one reading" the disc in drive A cannot be formatted"
It's a brand new Floppy drive and i have tried 5 different floppies.Anyone have a clue?Regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Format Issue.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Format Issue.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Format Issue.---?????'s

In reply to: Format Issue.

?????'s
Brand new suggests just replaced or is it a new computer?

Is floppy controller enabled in BIOS?

Is floppy cable inserted correctly, some may allow the installer to plug the cable upside-down at the floppy? off one set of pins?

Is the drive powered up?

Does the drive do anything i.e sounds lights?

Please more info

Don Erickson

Collapse -
Re:Re:Format Issue.---?????'s

In reply to: Re:Format Issue.---?????'s

I built the computer myself.Every single component is brand new.
I tried turning the cable round the other way and got exactly the same results.
"Is floppy controller enabled in BIOS?"How do i check?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Format Issue.---?????'s

In reply to: Re:Re:Format Issue.---?????'s

When in doubt Google it. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=bios+setup+help
Your computer may tell you how when it starts it may read like the following

"Press Del key to enter setup".

Below is a list of some of the ways I used in the past and use presently.

Keystrokes entered at POST (power on self test)
Del
Esc
F1
Ctrl-Shift-Esc
Ctrl-Alt-+
Ctrl-Alt-Enter
Ctrl-Alt-Esc
Ctrl-Alt-Ins
Ctrl-Alt-S
Ctrl-Esc
Ctrl-Ins
Ctrl-S
F2
F10
Fn-F2
Ins
Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Del

Now if you are not familiar with CMOS (BIOS) setup read the Google info. A sidenote when I change something I still write it down so I can easily go back.

You did not answer whether the drive does anything like light comes on spins-up makes noise. if you have a second drive you may want to eliminate the possibility of a broken drive by installing the second.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Format Issue.---?????'s

The ribbon cable will be marked with a colored stripe on one edge this will be the #1 pin location on the drive and the motherboard also is there a small four pin connector plugged into the power plug. It should come from the power supply and plug into the drive.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
Re:BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

In reply to: BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

I reversed the cable and i recieved exactly the same messages.However,i bought 10 new floppies and tried them.The first 3,i was able to write and delete from,but then the drive stopped responding.I then again tried the initial 3 that worked,but they had stopped responding.Any more ideas?

Collapse -
Re:Re:BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

could it be driver related?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

In reply to: Re:Re:BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

Could be.You couldn't send me drivers for it.It's a MPF920-E.Regards

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

In reply to: Re:Re:BTW -Make sure you now have the cable inserted correctly...

www.driverguide.com

you can register with them and search/download many many drivers BTW the username and password they will give you will be
Username - drivers
Password - all

Collapse -
My thought on this.

In reply to: Format Issue.

I'm thinking it can be heat related or even power supply related. The clue for me is that a few diskettes in a row will format and then it begins to fail.

While not enough was written about the machine to determine if the PSU is up to the tasks (review http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/ ) my initial thought is to remove the case cover and let it run cooler.

As well, I tend to use a command window to do such formats since I get better feedback from that interface. Notes at http://www.computerhope.com/formathl.htm

In closing, you may have to forgo the /Q or Quick options.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:My thought on this.

In reply to: My thought on this.

Robert,if it was heat related,would it not function properly after the 'puter had been off for a considerable time and then cease fuctioning after the heat set in?PSU=550 Watts.
I think i'll just take it back as i've spent enough time on it.It's still under guarntee anyway.

Collapse -
I can't tell from here...

In reply to: Re:My thought on this.

You are probably right. I can only guess with the supplied information and what I remember from reading the posts.

It's worth noting that diskette quality seems to be on a downhill trend. If you format a few disks, then a few don't, then set those aside and don't keep trying those. Maybe a new box will fare better.

The same quality issue exists for drives as well. I think the last drive cost less than 9 dollars so it's almost amazing to me that I can get such for so little.

As to the power, that rating is good to read compared to how many times I see a machine (or read about one here) with a 300 Watt PSU driving some 2+GHz machine...

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.