Western Digital has such a utility for their drives...it's included in their 'Data Lifeguard' utility.
Why are you reformatting every 3 months ?
Hey there guys, my name is Jon and I am begging for your help. I have a custom built system and usually reformat once
every 3 months, but this last time has not been successful. I built it myself, so if this is a hardware issue please inform me - I might be capable of fixing it.
First off, this is the error message I have been getting when trying to install a fresh copy of Windows XP.
(I was able to format the HD before this error, so the HD is blank)
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen
appears again, follow these steps.
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives pr hard drive controllers.
Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for
hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical information :
*** Stop: 0x0000007b (0xf898963c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"
Some things to be aware of:
- Last format was using a illegitimate WINDOWS XP OS (Windows XP Black), this OS ran flawlessly after the setup, but now I can't reformat properly)
- I had installed ESET Nod 32 anti-virus (first time using any anti-virus)
- I have a legit copy of Windows XP and a illegitimate one. The blue screen error appears when I try formatting with the legit copy. The illegitimate copy seems to install fine, but then an "ERROR LOADING HARD DRIVE" appears after restart.
- My bios may not be completely up to date, but I have reformatted many times before and not had this issue.
- I have a separate 40g hard drive, and these same errors appear. (Attempted separately)
- I do not have a floppy drive. (My DVD/CD R is my main boot priority)
Also, I have read many forums and been to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103, but I can't really find anything exactly related to my issue.
ASUS A8n - Motherboard
120g Maxtor ATA/133 HDD (SCSI)
Kingston 512 (x2) - Ram
Geforce fx 7600gs - GPU