Resolved Question

Format Drive but Don't Have OS Software to Reload

I want to reformat the hard drive on my Vista PC & use Eraser to remove all data (I bought a new HP pc w/Windows 7). But as you know computers don't come with backup software anymore so what do I do for an operating system after I reformat - I want to sell the PC? Does the operating system stay after a reformat?
Discussion is locked
coleisaac1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Format Drive but Don't Have OS Software to Reload
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Format Drive but Don't Have OS Software to Reload
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
After a reformat, nothing remains

if you reformat the hard dive, nothing remains but a blank disk.

Personally, this is exactly what I would do, reformat, then using an eraser type application to wipe all traces, before selling a computer.

As long as you explain there is no OS, then that should be fine, but you probably won't get as much for it.

Have you thought about installing some Linux Distro on it afterwards? They are free.

Mark

- Collapse -
Format Drive but Don't Have OS Software to Reload

Thanks for the replies - the Linux suggestion is great.
As I haven't reformatted yet, can I still make backup disk - I believe the option is available. Or should I just reformat & erase? If I make the backup & install it after the reformat, it won't have any of my data on it, will it?

- Collapse -
Hopefully Bob will return and tell you proper,

but why not test it? I have to say I'm not entirely sure what will happen if you try and reinstall from Recovery Disks. If it works but your personal files are saved, you can always format afterwards.

Just a couple of notes though.

They would be "Recovery Disks", not Backup Disks. Backup disks would be used to backup files to some other media, to be reinstalled back into a working OS. Recovery Disks help you to recover an OS back to working conditions.

Also, does this system have a hidden recovery partition? We don't know how old your computer is, but before manufacturers starting telling us to create our own recovery disks, they did it for us with hidden partitions. If this system does, (accessible via boot up), then that might be lost if you reformat the drive.

Mark

- Collapse -
Recovery disks

Thanks Mark, You're right my disks are labeled "Recovery". My computer is only 3 yrs old, it's an HP a6530f (triple core, 4GB ram, 640 drive). I use it ALOT & it just started hanging up on me & dying - had to restart it 4-5 times a day. It's a good computer that's why I'm thinking if I can reformat it I should be able to sell it.

- Collapse -
Answer
I disagree

My new pcs since 2000 and even before that allowed us to made RESTORE MEDIA. And the OS they install often has backup software.

All I can guess is you didn't make the restore media and may have to install Linux.
Bob

CNET Forums