HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Format A Laptop Hard Drive

by SeanStoppable / September 18, 2008 2:23 PM PDT

I have a HUGE problem. When I formatted my New Hp Laptop thats running on vista it indicates that there is no hard drive when I tried to install Windows XP. I cant seem to find the problem. I looked in the Bios setting and it says that my first boot is in fact the HD, I dont know what it wrong. Im getting Frustrated!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Format A Laptop Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Format A Laptop Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Asked and answered
by Jimmy Greystone / September 18, 2008 2:46 PM PDT

This question has been asked and answered scores of times on these forums alone, in just the last month or two. Did you even TRY searching with Google before posting?

And don't forget to make sure there are XP drivers for the rest of your laptop's hardware. Not all new systems have them, and if yours is one of them, you're SOL. Sell the system on ebay and use the money to buy a laptop with XP, or learn to live with Vista. On an HP laptop, I'm sure that will be painful, but XP won't likely be much better if the underlying hardware is the usual HP crap quality.

Collapse -
This Might Help...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 3:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
You're hurting badly now
by helljack6 / September 19, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

Unlike the last two responses, here's your issue.

You reformated your brand new HP laptop that had Vista preinstalled on it and now you can't do anything with the drive at all. The reason being is because your hard drive is most likely a SATA drive that requires a particular driver that was preloaded when HP loaded Vista on the laptop at the factory.

Now the only way to load anything else on it since you reformatted it, and probably wiped out the recovery partition in the process, is to go to HP's site, and find out what type of drive controller your laptop had, search, find and download that driver to a FLOPPY disk and then during the INIITIAL Windows Setup, press F6 to load additional drivers and load that driver from the FLOPPY. There are other methods to doing this as well, but they require additional software, injecting drivers and a great deal more time.

Collapse -
Is there anyway
by SeanStoppable / September 19, 2008 11:19 AM PDT

Thankyou! Is there anyway to use a flash drive or external instead of a floppy? Because the sata controller driver is 15mb

Collapse -
On some HP models
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Is there anyway

You change a BIOS setting in regards to SATA. Look for the letters SATA or Mode or IDE. That can help avoid the need for the driver.

Collapse -
hmm
by SeanStoppable / September 19, 2008 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: On some HP models

I did just that but the hard drive will not show up when on the format screen

Collapse -
Help me help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

I didn't see your model number, you didn't tell me exactly which setting you changed so I'm left to give you the method I used without being exact. As it stands there may be hope.
Bob

Collapse -
Other way
by Willy / September 19, 2008 9:15 PM PDT

If you've gotten any CDs from Dell, check to see if the SATA driver is present as a independent pgm. or retrievable. Google for the correct driver otherwise and use the other methods if no FD drive. Googled provided detailed info which what another poster offered(alluded to) and this is a tedious task for sure.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
USB Key
by Renegade Knight / September 20, 2008 12:52 AM PDT

if your computer can boot from a USB key you can load the driver that way as well. I used this method for Vista to see my RAID driver so I could format my drive.

If you had Vista to start the odds are that your computer can do this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.