Question

Format

Is there any disadvantage of "Format" hard drive or Pen drive ????

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Format
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell what you're wanting to accomplish

All drives need to be formatted before they can be used regardless of type. There are various formatting options that each have advantages and disadvantages but there's no advantage to having a drive that hasn't been formatted other than to allow it to be partitioned and formatted in a way the user desires.

- Collapse -
Format............hard drive

I want to format my c: and reinstall the windows...i want to know,Is there any disadvantage of formating drives at regular interval??

- Collapse -
Re: format

The main disadvantage is that it takes a lot of time to
- install Windows
- install all service packs and security updates
- install all your application programs
- redo all your settings
- restore all your data

For me, these advantages outweigh any advantages. In fact, I hardly see any advantages. So why do YOU want it?

Kees

- Collapse -
You don't need to format the drive to reinstall Windows.

The Windows installation disk can handle all of that for you. I don't see any reason to format a drive at any interval. Of course you understand that doing so wipes the drive of your data. Some folks take the notion that a re-installation of Windows is needed to maintain a PC's performance. I would say that was probably true back when Windows 95 and 98 were around but not so true today. Today, if you take care of your PC's cooling system, don't load up with background services, and stay away from malware, you can run for years without appreciable degradation in the area of performance. That being said, this becomes your choice. If you have the time and discipline to back up anything you don't want to lose, you can go the route of regular rebuilds as a preventive measure. In my way of thinking, however, this takes away a PCs ability to simplify one's life.

- Collapse -
Answer
erase

everything will be erased/

CNET Forums