The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Forget the oragami, the Dualcor cPC is here!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Forget the oragami, the Dualcor cPC is here!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Forget the oragami, the Dualcor cPC is here!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How much?

In reply to: Forget the oragami, the Dualcor cPC is here!!!

I fear this will fall into the category of "if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it."

Collapse -
How Much?

In reply to: How much?

Collapse -
Size = bigger than you think

Notice they don't give any dimensions for the product or show a photo of it in anybody's hands. In your head, you kind of make it look iPod size but a little bigger. But they mention it has a 5" screen (presumably diagonally) and if you add on the extra area of case, this thing will be between 7 and 8 inches wide and about 2 inches thick.

Kind of a cool product but not quite where it needs to be to step into the ULTRA-cool arena.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
I held one at CES

In reply to: Size = bigger than you think

It was about 6 inches across, so bigger than an iPod but still manageable. It was also pretty thick as I recall. Kind of more like a brick than a tablet. But I Loooooved it, because of the hot swap between OS's.

Collapse -
Closer

In reply to: I held one at CES

Using the top-down photo on their site, I did some calculations and it is closer to 6 inches (6.5). If the screen is a 5 inch diagonal, that makes the dimensions about 6.5 x 3.25 inches. Not SO bad for what it purports to do.

The largest ipod is 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.55 inches. I am hoping if Apple develops a similar device or large screen iPod video, it is closer to these dimensions. Maybe 4.75 inches wide with a similar 5 inch diagonal screen. That would give it roughly a 1/4 inch case bordering the LCD like in the current iPod.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
I forgot to ask

Tom, if you actually got to play with one at CES, what is it running? Their specifications link is weak on useful information. It says nothing about the chip or the speed.

Does it have WiFi? Bluetooth? Does it support EVDO if it's a cell phone? Their website is useless. They point out everything we can see in the picture - left/right mouse buttons, volume control, power on/off, pointer stick - WHO CARES??. So tell me something useful.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Here's what I know

In reply to: I forgot to ask

Collapse -
You didn't say "only" :)

In reply to: Here's what I know

LOL. I was surprised to hear you say "ONLY fifteen-hundred dollars."

Granted, you can consider this thing a mini-laptop or gigantic PDA but either way, $1500 just doesn't sit right with the perceived value of a product that doesn't even have a market yet.

Sounds like it will ship with 802.11g WiFi but no bluetooth and no EVDO. If it's going to be as thick as a brick and weigh over a pound, it should be crammed full of bleeding-edge technology, or at the very least last year's news.

Thanks for the links, by the way.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Only

In reply to: You didn't say "only" :)

Yeah it seems silly now. In the light and glamour of CES though, it sounded like a good deal comparable to a laptop.

Collapse -
Novel Gimmick?

I remember seeing the CES video back in the day, and I thought to myself, "OK, new idea, but how would i benefit from this?"

Why not just tablet edition? Then you get full windows, writing, instant on/off w/ standby ;), and you dont have to pay extra for two processors and os's. I guess battery life is different according to the other posts, but if that's your dealbreaker, then why not just invest in a car adapter or extra battery?

I dunno, maybe other ppl have better real-life applications of hot swapping two versions of windows that are cool/useful?

-ktms

Collapse -
not ideal but right now the best if they finally sell?

The concept is great as the advantage of having both OS is that the windows mobile provides very long battery life, instant on and other wireless features. The only negative is that it would have been great to have a touch type keyboard and have it a bit thinner. The ideal size to me is something around 3.5" x 7.5" x 3/4" in size more like the old Psion 5mx.

The Dualcor is the best for mobile users compared to any of the umpc's or the OQO but when is it going to be made and sold?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.