The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Forget snakes, it's time for SCORPIONS ON A PLANE!

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2007-01-09T132051Z_01_N08383924_RTRUKOC_0_US-SCORPION-ODD-1.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-L3-Oddly+Enough+NewsNews-2

ORONTO, Jan 8 (Reuters Life!) - A stowaway scorpion that stung a man on board a plane headed to Toronto caused a delay at the airport as investigators combed the aircraft for further arachnids, an airline spokesman said on Monday.

The scorpion apparently crawled out of the man's carry-on knapsack on American Airlines flight 1552 from Miami to Toronto on Sunday morning, said John Hotard, a company spokesman in Fort Worth, Texas.

"We delayed the outbound flight and searched the cabin of the aircraft to see if we could find any more, which we did not," said Hotard.

He said there was no indication the scorpion was brought on the plane intentionally.

A return flight to Miami was delayed by less than an hour after touching down at the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Hotard said the man told airline officials he was returning to Canada from a camping trip with his brother in Costa Rica, from where the scorpion likely originated.

"This is rare," said Hotard. "I'm not aware of a scorpion stinging a person on any of our flights before."

Still, "we get critters on board from time to time," he said.

After the plane touched down in Toronto, the passenger initially said he was alright but then reported feeling some "numbness," said Hotard, who couldn't provide further details on the man's health.

Fire and emergency crew responded and the man was treated by paramedics before being taken to hospital, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority said.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Forget snakes, it's time for SCORPIONS ON A PLANE!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Forget snakes, it's time for SCORPIONS ON A PLANE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Yikes! I wonder if I should pack anti-venom next time...

In reply to: Forget snakes, it's time for SCORPIONS ON A PLANE!

Collapse -
i'm from toronto so i cay say this :P

first we get sars and now we get scorpions Silly

another s- disease

Collapse -
Wonderful (NOT)

Oh this is so great, as if there isn't enough to worry about. Flying is bad enough in and of itself but ad terrorists and now Scorpions to the Mix.

I'll take a schooner from now on.

For those who don't know what a schooner is, it's basically a sailing vessel. It might be a bit slower but less stressful.

wait a minute....
I don't like Krakkens either so I'll chose flying.:-)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.