Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Ford Edge experiences/opinions

by jwlaurie / June 23, 2007 4:33 AM PDT

Has anyone out there had any experience with the new Edge from Ford? Any first impressions etc.?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ford Edge experiences/opinions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ford Edge experiences/opinions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
edge
by blazerdude20 / July 24, 2007 11:31 AM PDT

it is a very comfortable car on the interior, transmission is smooth and engine gives plenty of power, the only issue i have with it is the rear visibility when in reverse. but most of the edges have reverse sensing system so its not a huge deal

Collapse -
re: Ford Edge experiences/opinions
by wcunning Roadshow staff / July 27, 2007 8:59 AM PDT

Click here for my review of the Ford Edge if you haven't already read it. It's been a while since I drove it, but I recall it being a good, practical car in a lot of ways, although it wasn't as nimble as its platform-mate, the Mazda CX-7. Neither car gets very good gas mileage, unfortunately. One car with the same basic configuration as the Edge that I really liked was the Mitsubishi Outlander.

Collapse -
Critique submitted
by jwlaurie / July 27, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

I did just read the review of previous poster, thanks.

The following is the meat of a letter I sent to Ford Motors regarding my new Edge. To their credit they answered me back by phone last week and I had a long and fruitful conversation with a service investigator re the different points I made. He agrees on some concerns and says the factory design engineers will be in touch with me shortly.

Stay tuned . . . . .

Ford Motor Company of Canada Limited
The Canadian Road
P.O. Box 2000
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
L6J 5E4

June 3, 2007

To whom it may concern:

I am the owner of a new 2007 Ford Edge ES AWD and I have a number of critique points that someone at Ford should be interested in.

Pros:

1. Extremely comfortable seats
2. Very attractive . . . (garners many admiring and inquisitive glances) (ours is Blazing Copper with the tan leather interior)
3. Roomy, especially in rear seat area
4. Good acceleration
5. Excellent braking
6. Great sound system
7. Good driving illumination
8. Lots of airbags

Cons:

1. Poor handling on winding roads (tip over feeling and poor steering track)
2. Very poor fuel mileage, (nowhere near what?s advertised), Dealer says ?that?s just the way it is . . . . after it?s first 5000 km service.
3. Engine strains when full power applied . . (sounds like it?s working way too hard for the amount of acceleration produced)
4. Difficult to get in and out of (drivers seat has to be at lowest point to avoid hitting head on top door edge then must be raised again in order to see properly once seated)
5. Tilt and extending steering wheel doesn?t move far enough down or out to give comfort on a long drive
6. O/D and Cruise control indicator lights are hard to see due to their location beside the speedometer gauge
7. Visibility is restricted by position of side mirror assemblies. (they should be mounted much lower on the body of the vehicle)
8. Power sunroof very slow to move, (takes a long time with finger on switch to open or close)
9. No front seat release for rear hatch
10. Rear hatch rubber covered release button is hard to locate by feel.
11. Dashboard air vents cannot be aimed directly at the driver for cooling when it?s very hot outside and or when you want fresh air on your face.

I would point out that I am 61 years old and have been driving now for 46 years. I have owned many new and used Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles in that time. Overall this new Edge seems to have potential for being much better than it is and perhaps this critique might help in making it so in the future.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!