Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ford closing 14 plants

by TONI H / January 22, 2006 11:38 PM PST

and tossing 25-30,000 plant jobs and 4000 other jobs...thank you NAFTA and thank you UNIONS.

Don't blame Bush for this one.........

http://www.cnn.com/

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ford closing 14 plants
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ford closing 14 plants
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NAFTA ...
by Evie / January 23, 2006 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Ford closing 14 plants

... wouldn't be the disaster it has become IF American companies could compete in foreign markets. I'm not versed in all the reasons that doesn't seem to be happening (and no doubt SOME of it is foreign markets erecting obstacles to free market competition), but a major factor is the labor costs for the American automakers. No doubt environmental regulations play a part, but if it were a large one, then the foreign car companies couldn't compete here by building cars here. It is mostly the unions with the labor costs, but there's got to be something else involved.

Comparable American cars tend to sell for less than foreign cars to begin with, but not enough less to compensate for the difference in depreciation in value. That depreciation is due to quality. Why not spend the money to put out a higher quality product? Sure you would have to charge more, but why can't an American built American brand car compete with an Americna built Foreign brand? THAT is a problem of entrenched ideology -- the feeling that the big three would always be just that. The bailout of Chrysler only set the stage for subsidizing failing business models. One wonders how different things might be if Chrysler had been let to go bankrupt all those years ago.

Collapse -
NAFTA
by JP Bill / January 23, 2006 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: NAFTA ...

Edward O'D wants the guys that signed NAFTA in Canada (Conservatives, a friend as he calls them) to get back in power in the election today.

Collapse -
What was signed can be unsigned
by TONI H / January 23, 2006 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: NAFTA

as soon as intelligence comes back into the picture regarding what some thought of as 'free trade' but was actually a slippery slope of economic destruction for both Canada and the USA.

TONI

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / January 23, 2006 4:03 AM PST

Be careful opening up NAFTA agreements because a lot of people up here would like to change oil and gas agreements that the US now has a advantage over Canada.

Collapse -
Our economy
by TONI H / January 23, 2006 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Response

was much better for a very long period of time before 1973 when screw mfr's were allowed to take their business overseas and NAFTA followed much later, and financial relationships between Canada and the USA were sound....NAFTA was the bullet in our own foot.

I would rather re-negoiate pricing/trading between our countries again for gas, oil, lumber than have to kiss the world's behind over every product under the sun.

TONI

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / January 23, 2006 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Our economy

I would rather see Canada develop markets with other countries of the world and be less dependent on the US.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) good luck
by Mark5019 / January 23, 2006 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
NO
by JP Bill / January 23, 2006 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) good luck

Good plan

Collapse -
Hmm......
by John Robie / January 23, 2006 4:37 AM PST

".....why can't an American built American brand car compete with an Americna built Foreign brand?"

Excellent question Evie. Toyota and Nissan are good examples

Collapse -
Who can afford US prices? Foregin workers make little $
by Willy / January 23, 2006 12:08 PM PST

Why jump on Chysler for its problems "way back when". Of the big three is the healthest and get got a profit big time last year. It also "PAID BACK" its loan before its due time amny years ago.

The reason foregin autos are so popular when they were introduced was they were CHEAP. Many of the early models rusted like anything else. They had quality issues as well. However, they learned from their mistakes. Also, they began to understand the American auto market and offered what many didn't at the time, small and added milage. It took awhile for the big three to catch on but they did. Unfortunately their offering was just that offering on little substance. Later, they greatly improved but it was too late. Loyality to foreign autos creep-in because most of those buyers were young. Hey, that's how you hook buyers, give them what they want and be cheap about it. If the US auto makers were to offer a cheap auto that passed safety muster they could easily regain the market share. they are already doing that, but these are A-to-B people movers not gaint SUVs, look for them from Ford and GM. As for Nafta is was suspose to help reduce costs, it does but its a drop in the bucket. Its health costs that seem to be the hidden villian in all of this. Heck, when you can get rid of 1000's of workers and blame it on something else, you know what, you save on health benefits and ythe whole 9 yards. Don't blame unions for wanting thier workers to have basic cost&living wages to include health benefitsd just like everyone else worker's out there, union or not.

What the big three has got to do is put thier heads together or not and really offer what the US market wants and supply it at a reasonable cost. Drop dead models, dump big V-8 and get the new engines they need w/o borrowing from Japan or Korea, shhhh!t. Further, the workers willwork better if you hire workers and don't "overtime" them to death. Some workers like it too much and can't wean off of 50-60 hr. weeks for that extra $$$. Also, weed out deadbeat workers and those on drugs&alcohol w/o intervention always in the way. 1 chance should be it, too many new workers out there to allow that to go on. -----Willy

Collapse -
loseing 2 here in atlanta
by Mark5019 / January 23, 2006 3:00 AM PST

and thank you unions sucked gm and ford dry.

Collapse -
It was an end game for the unions. Try to suck the money
by Kiddpeat / January 23, 2006 10:27 AM PST

out of the companies before the go under. The heck with newer and younger workers.

Collapse -
typical union thieves
by Mark5019 / January 23, 2006 12:18 PM PST

all Unions suck your blood

Collapse -
They should build better cars.
by Dan McC / January 23, 2006 3:51 AM PST

That would be the best course of action.

Dan

Collapse -
and you know this how?
by Mark5019 / January 23, 2006 3:52 AM PST

i dont remember you saying your an auto engineer

Collapse -
Well Ralph Waldo Emerson said
by Rick S / January 23, 2006 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: and you know this how?

"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."

Collapse -
Unfortunately
by TONI H / January 23, 2006 4:12 AM PST

NAFTA and its predecessors allowed the mousetrap companies to leave, and the products being used now in our own manufacturing are nothing but garbage.

TONI

Collapse -
But Toni ...
by Evie / January 23, 2006 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Unfortunately

... NAFTA doesn't answer the question of why American brand autos built in America CANNOT compete with Foreign brand autos built in America!

My Honda was made here. American workers, in American plants, operating under American laws & regulations. So why is it so much better built and retains its value so much better than an American equivalent? I think that new it cost about 10% more than an equivalent GM product. It's now worth about twice what that GM would be worth.

Collapse -
When I was in school
by Dragon / January 23, 2006 11:41 AM PST

I read that a better mousetrap didnt always cut it, for one reason or another. It had to be one that people wanted to buy. I guess with cars, one of the main reasons is style. But another problem might have been that they were banking too much on the SUVs and trucks for their income, or something along those lines.

Collapse -
Planned obsolescence (still with us, if muted)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 23, 2006 11:58 AM PST

and too much attention to saving pennies per unit, at the expense of quality, is the root of the problem. Foreign manufacturers don't have that mind-set; the American B-school-trained bean-counters unfortunately do, and today's announcement shows the result.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Sad, even GM announced in November
by John Robie / January 23, 2006 4:40 AM PST

about closing plants & laying off worker.

I currently own a Ford pickup and Ford auto. The pickup is past due for replacemen and I have been waiting for the new Toyota Tundra pickup factory being built in San Antonio to start producing off the line in November, then checking comparative pricing. In the back of my mind..thinking Toyota will give a good discount to the locals as 'good will' jesture to kick off the pickup war in Texas.

Ford has approximately 87,000 hourly workers and 35,000 salaried workers in North America. They make a fine strong F-150 pickup starting with the revamped 2005 model. The Toyota plant, like the Nissan plant in Tennessee, is non union. Since all the jobs in our local Toyota plant are not filled, I would assume some of the skilled workers from Ford/GM would be logical to hire, after screening (keeping the Union influence in mind).

Collapse -
thats over 2000/plant on average
by Dragon / January 23, 2006 8:02 AM PST

I didnt realize there were that many working at a plant.

Collapse -
Not suprising, GM is in the mix
by Bi0-Hazard / January 23, 2006 12:31 PM PST

They are losing their business to the Japanese/European car makers, but mostly Japanese. With Honda and Toyota you get saftey, quality, and reliabity all under one frame of a car.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?