Computer Help forum

General discussion

foramtind c drive to remove all its contents

i have p4 dualcore, Windows Media Centre installed, 160 gb hd, 1gb mem. cannot access c drive, tried to reinstall XP. on shows startup shows three lines of windows media center xp. How to correct this problem? and access c drive from My Computer.

Guru sundara

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: foramtind c drive to remove all its contents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: foramtind c drive to remove all its contents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you describe your problem better?

In reply to: foramtind c drive to remove all its contents

That is, both more detail and somewhat clearer English.

"Cannot access c:-drive". How do you try? What happens? Assuming that the c:-drive is the drive where Windows is installed: can you boot from it, and how far does it come?

"Tried to reinstall XP". What kind of install (clean install, repair install) from what source? Did it work? Did it fail? On what point? What exactly happened?

"On startup it shows three lines of media center xp". What exactly does it show? What happens then?

Kees

Collapse -
cannot access c drive

In reply to: Can you describe your problem better?

I can use computer fully well, it is annoying to see three lines popping up ?windows XP media center?. I choose second line to boot the computer and use it.

Tried to access c drive using my computer, message was ?access denied?. Reinstalled using CD drive, it works o.k. I cannot access ?c? drive. Now what can be done?

Collapse -
Re: can't access c:-drive

In reply to: cannot access c drive

Three identical lines with "windows XP media center"? Or didn't you answer my question?

Does this happen to be a multi-boot system? You didn't tell. Did you make it so yourself? What's the exact content of \boot.ini (a hidden file in the root-folder of the c:-drive (that's a difficult question if you can't access it).
Or is it quite something else?

"The message was 'access denied'. I reinstalled using CD-drive [now] it works OK." Or doesn't it work OK, if you still can't access the c:-drive? That's unclear to me. On what drive is Windows installed? Can you access folders on that drive? What should be on the c:?

The usual way to handle 'access denied' error is to take ownership. That might be the case here also. Do exactly what you find if you google XP TAKE OWNERSHIP. It can very well be that it's necessary to boot in Safe Mode; it isn't in XP Pro, and Media Center is like XP Pro, but I can't see the security tab in normal mode myself.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
And ...

In reply to: foramtind c drive to remove all its contents

your subject line mentions "formatting the c-drive". But the remainder of your post doesn't. What's the link between the subject and the contents?

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.