Question

For Verizon is the Charge a good decision or should I wait?

I need to get a new phone. I use Verizon as I get ex-employee rates.
The main features in a phone I need are voice activated dialing and features and having it work well with VZ navigator.

I have tried all the current phones at the store and the Charge seems to work well, the touch screen keyboard works well for me, better and more accurate vs the Thunderbolt.

I am considering the Charge because it seems to have a decent battery life, the screen seems large and nice, and if I do need to type something they keyboard responds well for me. I don't enjoy typing on cell phones so when I do it makes a big difference when the keyboard is easy and accurate for me to use, the Charge has been the best at this that I have tried. Also I think the 4G capability just makes sense to have in a new phone.

I know that some phones have the GPS-A or the GPS-S and am wondering if this is significant in how the navigator works?

Since there are the new Motorola and Iphones supposed to come out soon I am wondering if having the dual processor or any other features that make a significant enough difference that it would make sense for me to try to wait for them to come out?

I don't use many smartphone options. I may sometimes want to check my regular email account. I don't know of any apps that I am interested in yet. I could on occasion listen to MP3's stored on it as I don't have an Ipod right now, just a lot of MP3 files on my computer. I do like the idea of a removable storage card in case I end up using the MP3 more than I think I will or for when I don't have my still or video camera with me and end up using the camera mode on the phone. It would be nice to have that card so I can easily plug it in to my lap top to transfer files back and forth.

The biggest thing is having the VZ navigator work best. I use that feature instead of having stand alone GPS navigators in my car or on my motorcycle. I have a case/mount for my motorcycle and a helmet mounted bluetooth headset so I can use the navigator (or have phone calls) easily without having to buy separate units for my bike and car when I can just use my cell phone for that. The larger and better quality of the touchscreen the better of course.

I have not found huge difference in call quality with different phones but obviously that is important for any phone.

Considering my uses is there any big advantage to waiting for a dual processor phone or is the type of GPS the Charge has something that could be better on a different phone such as one of those mentioned that will be coming out soon?

I can upgrade every 10 months but still have to pay for each new phone, similar to the price anyone would pay when opening an account with a 2 year contract. So in 10 months I could buy a better phone but like to keep phones much longer than that. The only thing that would make me want to buy a new phone would be if the navigation featured worked better or there were a new feature not invented yet.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: For Verizon is the Charge a good decision or should I wait?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: For Verizon is the Charge a good decision or should I wait?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I suggest visiting Howardforums

There were some pretty good comments/feedback in the Verizon subforum @ howardforums.com. Might be useful to quickly search through since it's a more specialty forum dealing with wireless handsets/services.

- Collapse -
Ok I will check that out

Ok thanks,
I will check that out. It is unfortunate that the salespeople at the Verizon store know so little about their own products. Not one of them could tell me as much information as I knew just looking at the Verizon web site. Even on salesman that actually owned a handsfree kit knew that it had the ability to use with a car stereo even though it has a big FM button on the front. The only thing I was told about any features I asked about was that things had a 14 day return policy if it did not do what I wanted. Pathetic and not how things were back when I worked for the company.

CNET Forums