Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

For Tony H- ext dos

by Cheng / October 30, 2004 1:12 AM PDT

Tony, First of all I have to thank you for your advise that I read in another thread regarding how to use FDISK AND DELPART.exe and the command FormatC /S. Now may be I can resume how I try to reinstall Win98SE in my Dell.
Originally I have Win98SE installed. As my daughter has to experience Linux system, so I use Partition Magic to partition the hard disk and install Fedora C2. Meantime, with 64Mo Ram, I delete Win98SE, too slow to have two systems on. I have now added 256Mo Ram and decided to reinstall Win 98SE. There began the problems until I read your above thread. I also use the command FDISK /MBR, I think it is useful to delete Fedora's GRUB. Correct me if I am wrong.
I successfully reinstall Win98SE using the whole hard disk space. Then I use Partition Magic to partition the hard disk to install immediately Fedora. Finally Fedora is installed but I cannot boot into Win98 although I have configure in the Grub. I just get the command prompt C:.As my daughter needs to run Karel++ under Windows, so I decided to format the whole disk again and reinstall Win98. But to my surprise besides the non dos partitions (I guess that they are of Fedora), there is a 600 Mo Ext dos that I cannot delete. So now I have a hard disk C less 600 Mo. My question is what is this Ext dos. (I have consulted Microsoft page but I cannot figure out ).
I am sorry to be so confused but I am working on this installation since a week and turning around. Please guide me how to install Win98 and then Fedora.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For Tony H- ext dos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For Tony H- ext dos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: For Tony H- ext dos
by TONI H / October 30, 2004 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: For Tony H- ext dos

I'm unfamiliar with Fedora.......however; if you boot up with the W98 bootdisk and at the A: prompt, type

FDISK /STATUS and press enter, please let us know what is showing.

Formatting the harddrive doesn't get rid of extra partitions...it only 'cleans/erases' the partition you use the Format command on, such as Format C:/S

If you use the FDISK command and then choose "Display Partitioning", it will tell you the size of each of the partitions you have created (when you used Partition Magic). So let us know what that also says and the order it says it.....such as

NON-MSDOS Partition XXXX bytes
C: (A) XXXX bytes

OR>>>>>>>

C: (A) xxxx bytes
NON-MSDOS Partition xxxx bytes

What you appear to be looking to do is have a 'dual boot' situation where you can either boot to Fedora or boot to W98, and you aren't getting the screen to do that because you used the FDISK /MBR command which I think wipes out the dual boot option in the boot.ini file in C:

That doesn't necessarily mean that Fedora isn't still installed......it just means that you aren't getting the option to boot to it.

Once we have your information, we'll see what we can do to help fix it.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: For Tony H- ext dos
by Cheng / October 30, 2004 4:21 AM PDT

Thankyou Tony for your prompt advise. In fact, I run again Partition Magic and have all my partitions listed. From there, I have deleted the Ext dos and created two partitions C and D. Meanwhile I might try Knoppix which seems much simpler. Anyway, it is a great comfort to have someone like you to turn to. Thankyou with all my heart.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Anytime, Paris.....good luck
by TONI H / October 30, 2004 4:54 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?