Speakeasy forum

General discussion

For those who've been though military basic training

by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2006 3:09 AM PST

Could you go through this again and take the imtimidation part seriously? With what you know now, how would you react to a DI, TI, or whatever, who gets in your face and tries to cower you? Would you still turn into a pile of quivering jello or just find it hard to keep from laughing? Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For those who've been though military basic training
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For those who've been though military basic training
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i dont know
by Mark5019 / February 2, 2006 3:57 AM PST

but to laugh would make my arms sore 1000 push ups yes drill sgt:)

Collapse -
You didn't dare address an Army DI as sir like the..........
by Tony Holmes / February 2, 2006 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: i dont know

jar heads do unless you wanted your butt kicked.

If you did,the response was something like:"Don't call me sir,I work for a living,you stupid ****.Drop and give me xxx" ....lol.

Collapse -
Speaking of Marines...
by Edward ODaniel / February 2, 2006 12:54 PM PST

I actually tried to enlist in both the Marines and later in the Navy a few months before I was drafted into the Army.

Neither one would take me because I was "Over Qualified".

The Marines didn't want me as soon as they found out that my parents were married and the Navy almost waivered that until they found out that their marriage was to each other.

Collapse -
"Over Qualified".
by JP Bill / February 2, 2006 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Speaking of Marines...

My Sergeant (in basic training) told me he thought

"I was stupid enough to be an officer" Wink

Collapse -
Funny thing...
by J. Vega / February 2, 2006 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: "Over Qualified".

Funny thing, but I never heard such cracks about SAC officers.

Collapse -
Neither did I. Once had a 2nd Lieutenant fresh
by John Robie / February 5, 2006 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Funny thing...

out of West Point, who said he was taught to latch on to a good senior NCO, which he did, that would make him a General, and in later life he retired as a Lieutenant General. Another 'Bird' Colonel who did the same but did not come from the 'Academy' used to talk about the WPPA (West Point Protective Association) retired as a Brigadier.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I knew there had to be a catch. ;-)
by caktus / February 5, 2006 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: "Over Qualified".
Collapse -
Marines
by marinetbryant / February 3, 2006 3:03 AM PST

Funnny. We were told in boot camp that we were boondock operated, c-ration fed, little green xxxx maggots. On the serious side, when that fella next to you screws up sometimes people get killed so the herd mentality is important in combat. You just hope your squad leader, platoon sgt or platoon leader(usually a Lt.) has it together!

Tom

Collapse -
Sure enough and...
by Edward ODaniel / February 3, 2006 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Marines

fortunately most Marines have a good sense of humor.

Poor guys, that sense of humor is about all they have other than cast off equipment from the other services (although that is changing for the better lately!).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I thought "maggot" was the serious side
by caktus / February 5, 2006 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Marines
Collapse -
"Over Qualified" for the Marines?
by caktus / February 5, 2006 4:05 AM PST

When all other's wouldn't take me the Corps snatched me right up.

Collapse -
Now that is 'telling on yourself'
by Edward ODaniel / February 5, 2006 4:49 AM PST
Wink
Collapse -
Not really...
by caktus / February 5, 2006 5:01 AM PST

The ''other's'' wouldn't take me because of a previous medical condition. The Corps is responsible for figuring out that it was a childhood illness wich I had since developed out of.

As for the other Branches, well tough luck. Turned out I loved the service life and mission, and married the Corps.
:^O, :^O,:^O all the way home.

Collapse -
Phew! Was also wondering
by John Robie / February 5, 2006 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Not really...

as the Army used to take guys without high school or proof of age, and during Nam the LBJ/Macnamara Project 2000 guys.
Wink

Collapse -
I haven't done basic
by dirtyrich / February 2, 2006 8:36 AM PST

but I've suffered plenty under the thumbs of Marine DI's in ROTC. It wouldn't shake me as is initially did, but I would definitely be able to keep my composure.

Collapse -
Never did ROTC
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2006 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: I haven't done basic

Mine was USAF back in '69. It was supposed to be wimpy compared to Army and Marines. Even Navy was supposed to be tougher. Part of it is perpetual brow beatings and continuous movement...no time to think and everything on a schedule. It was a deliberate deprogramming/reprogramming using treatment by shock. It was a game of psychology and the military instructors had all the weapons. Fear was the primary tool used but the the threat to a ''basic'' was more perceived than real. Individuality was not tolerated. You were all just part of the machine and obedient to your superiors. If you couldn't be tamed, you were not put down like an animal...just put on a bus back home....nothing more. I have heard that some who left the service went back later and some perhaps had to go through basic training again. I cannot imagine repeating that myself. I can't imagine being frightened by having someone in my face like that again....couldn't take it seriously at all and might just laugh. Guess I'd be boarding a Grayhound homebound. Happy

Collapse -
AF are wimps
by dirtyrich / February 2, 2006 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: Never did ROTC

Before beginning my first semester at college, we attended a 2-week "orientation" for our unit. Essentially, it was a crash boot camp (and yes, I openly admit that it was tame compared to real boot camp). For two weeks, two Marine gunnies owned us.
The AF did a 3-day orientation. While we were up at 5 to do PT, they got up at 7. While we were being instructed in the basics of military drill, they were playing volleyball. While we were being instructed on and quizzed on our general orders, they were playing volleyball. We spent 2 hours each night prepping our uniforms for the next day, and they watched AF-related movies (they needed a break from volleyball, those poor souls).
So yeah, while they may have some of the nicest toys to play with, and I'ms ure there are some hard-as-nails members in that service, it definitely is the lite version of the military.

Collapse -
This much I can surely tell you
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2006 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: AF are wimps

Your marine ROTC was wimpy compared to real AF basic. We were up before the sun, marched and did PT, had a quick chow, back to a quick shower, and back on the field for drill. Only part of Sunday morning allowed a short freedom for those who wanted to go to church. Even they were marched there and back in formation. We constantly carried canteens and, at that time, salt tablets. The only breaks once we hit the outdoors was for those who were allowed to ''fall out'' and smoke. The breaks weren't so much for the new GIs but for the drill instructors. There was no sports time. Lights went out by 9:00PM. You maybe had an hour to wind down but that time was spent organizing and reorganizing your locker, shoe shining, etc. It was plenty hard. I actually heard from some that, after Marines, Navy was the toughest and Army was third. I have no way to know what the truth is as this was just talk among us when we got out and shared experiences. I imagine many stories were embellished.

Collapse -
As someone once said to me...
by J. Vega / February 3, 2006 1:42 AM PST

As someone once said to me, in basic training happiness consists of getting enough sleep - only this and nothing more.

Collapse -
Overall, same routine for us
by dirtyrich / February 3, 2006 5:02 AM PST

just two weeks of it instead of full blown basic. The worst part was the gunnies used to repeatedly march us past the AF playing volleyball and drinking gatorade, and make us salute as we passed.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Til you need them to save your @ss.
by caktus / February 3, 2006 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: AF are wimps
Collapse -
True, but as things usually stand
by dirtyrich / February 3, 2006 11:28 AM PST

squids are drunks, leathernecks are simpleminded, the AF are pretty boys (and girls), and the Army, well, the Army is just there:-P

The services squabble like a bunch of siblings. They may seem at odds often, but they got each other's backs.

Collapse -
True?
by marinetbryant / February 3, 2006 11:38 AM PST

Beg your pardon but I resemble that leatherneck remark!

Tom

Collapse -
Ya leathernecks
by dirtyrich / February 3, 2006 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: True?

may be able to fight, but you're stranded without the Navy :-P

Collapse -
And as my Son
by Glenda / February 3, 2006 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Ya leathernecks

told his wifes Captain........

have to set this story up]:)

Karens Captain told my Son that the Marine Corps is JUST a branch of the Navy! My Son said ''Yes Sir! The mens branch''

Karen stayed away from that Captain as much as she could! LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) AHAHA. Thats a good one.
by dirtyrich / February 3, 2006 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: And as my Son
Collapse -
And
by Glenda / February 3, 2006 12:21 PM PST

it wasn't a joke he did it:( LOL

Collapse -
I don't think they've ever found a Marine
by dirtyrich / February 3, 2006 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: And

who hasn't had a pair of brass ones

Collapse -
hehehe
by Glenda / February 3, 2006 11:39 PM PST

My Son takes after his Mother Devil

Collapse -
RE: squabble like a bunch of siblings
by caktus / February 4, 2006 3:09 AM PST

And when one gets cocky, one usually screws something up when one least expects it. I would suggest don't get above you're raising, but now a days our raising usually screws us up so bad we can't even recognize ourselves. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.