General discussion

For those who enjoy British comedy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: For those who enjoy British comedy
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: For those who enjoy British comedy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT)Thx, only familair with part of those, but good to be reminded

- Collapse -
I gather there is a channel in the US ...

which is devoted to "Are you being served?". It would be good if they could get "Yes Minister" (followed by Yes Prime Minister) over there, being the clever and hysterical tongue-in-cheek look at how the corridors of power work. (Imagine Spin City but with rather more British reserve.) The re-runs are on UK Gold here at the moment.

Personally, I like to watch re-runs - not because they are re-runs but because I missed most of them the first time round!

Regards
Mo

- Collapse -
Re:I gather there is a channel in the US ...

I loved that series, it was so funny seeing him get all tied up in bureaucratese. As I understand it, Jim Hacker and his antics was so realistic, Paul Eddington (the actor who played him) used to get invites to discussions of events with the leader of the Swedish(?)/Norwegian(?) government.

My other particular favourites are To The Manor Born and The Good Life. Basically any comedy which is subtle, and shows class not crass. Happy

- Collapse -
Agreed Dale. Do you think we can get someone non-uk to say which of our sitcoms they get? and ...

"stand by your beds chaps", what they think of them?

Regards
Mo

- Collapse -
Some I watch on PBS

Currently on that I know -

As Time Goes By (ok, call me a sentimental sap, but I watch it regularly, even if have seen them all)
Are you being served? (funny show, with plenty of twists on puns)
Keeping Up Appearances. (ok, some parts great laughs)
Last of the Summer Wine. (ok, but not particularly a fan)
Waiting For God (love it, watch it regularly, even if seen most episodes)
Chef! (although it's moved time, not sure if is on currently or not, normally enjoyed)

And in the past when they were on local PBS-

No Job for a Lady (ok)
Good Life (called Good Neighbors in USA)(enjoyed it often)
To the Manor Born (didn't see it a lot)
Red Dwarf (enjoyed it)
Doctor in the House (barely remember it though)
My Hero (ehhhhh)
Fawlty Towers (classic John Cleese)
Vicar of Dibley (some good, some not so good)

Eastenders (but it was more of a soap, don't see on the list)

And not sitcom or soap I guess, but never forget Dr. Who. Wink

CNET Forums