Speakeasy forum

General discussion

For those who enjoy British comedy

by Dale Johnston / February 23, 2004 7:17 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For those who enjoy British comedy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For those who enjoy British comedy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT)Thx, only familair with part of those, but good to be reminded
by Roger NC / February 23, 2004 7:34 AM PST

Collapse -
I gather there is a channel in the US ...
by Mosonnow / February 23, 2004 6:42 PM PST

which is devoted to "Are you being served?". It would be good if they could get "Yes Minister" (followed by Yes Prime Minister) over there, being the clever and hysterical tongue-in-cheek look at how the corridors of power work. (Imagine Spin City but with rather more British reserve.) The re-runs are on UK Gold here at the moment.

Personally, I like to watch re-runs - not because they are re-runs but because I missed most of them the first time round!

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:I gather there is a channel in the US ...
by Dale Johnston / February 25, 2004 3:00 AM PST

I loved that series, it was so funny seeing him get all tied up in bureaucratese. As I understand it, Jim Hacker and his antics was so realistic, Paul Eddington (the actor who played him) used to get invites to discussions of events with the leader of the Swedish(?)/Norwegian(?) government.

My other particular favourites are To The Manor Born and The Good Life. Basically any comedy which is subtle, and shows class not crass. Happy

Collapse -
Agreed Dale. Do you think we can get someone non-uk to say which of our sitcoms they get? and ...
by Mosonnow / February 25, 2004 3:34 AM PST

"stand by your beds chaps", what they think of them?

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Some I watch on PBS

Currently on that I know -

As Time Goes By (ok, call me a sentimental sap, but I watch it regularly, even if have seen them all)
Are you being served? (funny show, with plenty of twists on puns)
Keeping Up Appearances. (ok, some parts great laughs)
Last of the Summer Wine. (ok, but not particularly a fan)
Waiting For God (love it, watch it regularly, even if seen most episodes)
Chef! (although it's moved time, not sure if is on currently or not, normally enjoyed)

And in the past when they were on local PBS-

No Job for a Lady (ok)
Good Life (called Good Neighbors in USA)(enjoyed it often)
To the Manor Born (didn't see it a lot)
Red Dwarf (enjoyed it)
Doctor in the House (barely remember it though)
My Hero (ehhhhh)
Fawlty Towers (classic John Cleese)
Vicar of Dibley (some good, some not so good)

Eastenders (but it was more of a soap, don't see on the list)

And not sitcom or soap I guess, but never forget Dr. Who. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?