General discussion

For those of you who grill outdoors

Don't you hate it when the propane tank runs out before the meat is done. Dang it! Sad

So while I wait for the oven to do it's job...

Summer time and especially the 4th of July brings cook outs.

Propane or charcoal ?

Also... any recipes for summer cook outs you want to share with us?

grim

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: For those of you who grill outdoors
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: For those of you who grill outdoors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Propane

We have two tanks. So far we've managed to fill the ''spare'' regularly enough to have it handy when the gas runs out on the one that's in service.

Charcoal is waaaaaaayyyyyy too much work.

In the summer, anything on the grill is a good recipe! Cuz I don't have to cook Devil

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how long do you cook a grill:)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gas, and I have a second tank
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, me too.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Charcoal
- Collapse -
Nah na na na nah naaaaah

Guess what I'm eating for dinner tonight? Thinly sliced and lightly salted leftovers of yet another of hubby's perfect steaks on the grill Grin

Silly Evie Silly

- Collapse -
YEEEEECH!!!!

"Thinly sliced" What the hell is that? Slabs, always slabs of meat. And don't even think about putting fish or chicken on the grill

- Collapse -
Oh ...

... the steaks are SLABS alright when grilled. We almost always have to get the butcher to cut them for us. This is the leftovers from a 2.5 lb 2'' thick slab. Mmmmmmm

Cold left overs are really good sliced and lightly salted though.

Chicken rarely goes on the grill. Fish only in one of those baskets for Mom or Sister.

I do have one recipe to share -- been shared before but it's a great appetizer. Get decent sized precooked shrimp. Melt a stick of butter and add about an equal volume of San J Sechuan sauce and about a tablespoon or two of dry sechuan blend seasoning -- some garlic too if that's your taste. Mix in a bowl and let it sit. Looks kinda gross as the butter congeals but it's better to let them soak before putting them on a skewer or one of those grilling racks. Most of the bad stuff about the butter grills away, but you can't beat the taste it leaves behind!

Yummy!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Agreed!

Unless you're "grilling" fish in a frying pan with oil (less mess and/or smell in the house) or making a beer-butt chicken, which turns out really awesomely!

Cindi

- Collapse -
Selfish!!!!!!!!!!

You could share!! LOL
Wasn't that a great lunch last time we did that?? YummyHappy

- Collapse -
Charcoal all the way

And not the fuel oil soaked easy lighting type. I've never used anything else. Sometimes I have problems getting it started when the weather is colder but it just takes patience. I've been known to douse the bricks with methonol to speed up the process but this isn't recommended in the Weber manual. This past year we had a few chunks of real coal my daughter pick up while walking the railroad tracks. Why she was on the tracks is a story for another day. Anyway, I sneaked some of the coal into the grill recently. My wife caught the scent, scowled, and asked if Casey Jones was coming to dinner. Happy

- Collapse -
I had 2 extra tanks but...

they were the old style that didn't have the auto cutoff refill valve that the new ones are required to have for refilling safety.

The one tool I find invaluable when working the grill is an instant read thermometer. Once I got that... no cut of meat was ever overcooked again.

grim

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Meat can't be undercooked, only over cooked
- Collapse -
I usually find

That whatever I grill, I put on for 4 minutes, then flip it, and leave it on another 4 minutes. Perfection!

Cindi

- Collapse -
My hubby seems to have a sixth sense ...

... and almost symbiotic relationship with his grill Wink I don't ask and I don't interfere! If anything gets overdone it's usually because there were too many distractions and he wasn't rude enough to jsut tell the guests to butt out!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Should be able to exchange those old style tanks

for new ones... or maybe they don't for that any more?

- Collapse -
We couldn't exchange the old one from Dad ...

... but a new filled one was cheap. Luckily in Dad's neighborhood he was able to throw the old tank out at the curb and the town took care of it.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Was a long time ago...

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong or it was a discount or something.

- Collapse -
Option 3

A natural gas grill with a direct hookup to your house's gas line. We had a gas stub put in when we had our house built. No more tanks, no more running out of gas in the middle of cooking something.

- Collapse -
Charcoal, preferably lump.

Mesquite chunks and hickory chunks are a necessity too.

Pulled pork

1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons sugar
2-3 tablespoons garlic powder
2-3 tablespoons onion powder
2-3 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2-3 tablespoons chili powder
1-2 tablespoon2 celery salt
1-2 tablespoon2 freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoon2 freshly ground white pepper
1-2 teaspoon2 dried thyme
1 (6 to 7 pound) bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt)

Mix all of the dry spices together to make a rub. Coat the butt with yellow mustard all over and then rub down with the spice mixture. Set aside to rest.

Light a generous quantity of charcoal at one side of the grill or preferably in a side mounted fire box and let coals ash over completely. Add hickory chunks to coals and close dampers for a reducing atmosphere starved of oxygen. Grill should be around 180F - 200F. Add butt to grill, fat side up, away from coals for indirect cooking.

Maintain a 180 to 200 degree F cooking temperature inside the grill, adding coals every 2 hours or as necessary. Add wood chips as needed for smoke. Try not to lift the lid of the cooker at any other time.

When the pork reaches an internal temperature of 190 to 195 degrees F it's done (about 16-18 hours). The bone should pull out clean with a pair of tongs at this point. It may require 2-3 spatulas and extra hands to get the now falling apart piece of pork off the grill Happy Let it rest for about an hour, then "Pull" the pork by hand, shredding it and discarding any large pieces of fat. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce. Warning: Highly addictive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info