Laptops forum

General discussion

For those looking for a new notebook

by togus / September 29, 2005 10:24 PM PDT

I've been researching and shopping hard for a new notebook for months now. HP just came out with an option that caused me to pull the trigger. For a review go here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1858647,00.asp

Yesterday I ordered my new Dv4000 with the ATI X700 GPU... a very nice video card. Got it configured pretty nicely for $1220.11 (including a free second battery). The price did include a 6% academic discount, but doesn't include the $50.00 rebate that I'll be sending in after recept of the machine. This was, by far, the best deal I've found on a fairly high end machine.

- HP Pavilion dv4000
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz)
- FREE Upgrade to 15.4'' WXGA BrightView Widescreen!
- 128MB ATI MOBILITY(TM) RADEON(R) X700
- 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (1x512MB)
- 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
- DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
- FREE Upgrade to Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG WLAN!
- FREE Second 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery!!
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money
- Norton Internet Security 2005 - 15 Mo Subscription

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For those looking for a new notebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For those looking for a new notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
3 post from me on hp today.....IM not bashing
by Qosmio / September 30, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

I come to cnet fourms alot and it always seems that the Hp users are aways haveing issues.you would think this would give the new buyers of a notebook would get the hint from so many post on this companys short commings as fare as notebook construction and warrenty.togus it seems to good to be true but maybe it,s really not that good.let the hp post in the fourms of cnet help you make a choice on a hp notebook.you may not like what you find.

Collapse -
When you're the biggest...
by togus / September 30, 2005 12:28 AM PDT

You get some unsatisfied customers, and they write about it. Just look at the volume of flaming posts regarding Dell.

You'll find people eho have bad experiences with every company (much fewer with Apple and IBM). If you're interested in a slightly more scientific sampling then what shows up in Cnet forums you might find the following article interesting:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1851349,00.asp

Collapse -
took the read
by Qosmio / September 30, 2005 12:48 AM PDT

hp puts out a notebook with many options at a cheap price inturn that get the cunsumers attention.they think there getting more yet what there getting is junk.every notebook maker has it,s lemons f,sure like dell,tosiba,ibm,apple.as i was told when buying my new notebook you get what you pay for.i my self was going to give hp another chance being the options as well as the low price.I went to best buy,comp usa,circut city and in every store i was told much of the pc,s that came back for return or exchange are Hp/compaqs.i was told by the sales reps at these stores that hp was undepenable and was advised to stay away.i then went and talked to comp usa,s teck service in store and they told me the same thing.they live a sell notebooks .why would they lie?6 sales reps 3 diffrent stores.........Why would they lie about hp/compaq products?

Collapse -
Again, when you sell the most...
by togus / September 30, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: took the read

You'll get the most back. You and I have taken some of the same steps, just yesterday I spoke with the manager of the tech dept. at our local Staples, she told me she has 1 HP desktop and 2 HP lappies, she swears by them. However, although I did listen to her, I didn't make my purchase decision on her opinion. I read reviews in PC Magazine, PC World, Laptop Magazine, Mobile Magazine, Notebookreview.com and more:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1858634,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120924,00.asp
http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavilion-dv4000.htm
http://www.mobilemagazine.com/archives/2005/08/hp_pavilion.html
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2345

I also put some stock in the reader survey from PC World that seemed to show suctomer satisfaction with most PC companies.

As you say, all product lines have winners and losers, regarding Toshiba, go back and look at the flame wars that were going around about 10 months ago (related to quality issues). As to why a sales rep would lie... well I'm shocked! As a person who lost a pant-load of dough on World Com I can say that I've experienced sales people touting what the company wants the consumer to buy. I'm not saying that anyone lied to you, just that sales folk, most of who work on commission, might have a conflict of interest and be inclined to steer a person to more expensive products.

In closing, I don't think any company stays in business for long(let alone becoming the largest in sales as HP has) in such a competitive sector as PCs by selling ''junk''.

I apprecate your POV on HP, but must disagree with your conclusion.

Collapse -
the notebook
by Qosmio / September 30, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

the 2 notebooks i was looking at were the same price.that did not come into play.as well they were not pushing sony on me .I pushed that on my self.and that was a mojor mistake.thats were the sales rep would make his or her money at.this was hp vers toshiba.they were pushing toshiba over sony and hp.....the HP/compaq section looked like a ghost town. anyway it,s cheaper to go to the hp web site anyway to get one of there pc,s.

Collapse -
it,s pretty
by Qosmio / September 30, 2005 1:46 AM PDT

it,s pretty notebook though.i will give you that.here is a hint stay away from there pda,s.went through the hp 6315 pda.hp took for ever to upgrade the drivers so it would work right.went to dave ipaq yesterday to see how the 6500 as well as the 6700 series were comeing along.hp is still playing the same games.anyway good chat togus.God bless

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?