Speakeasy forum

General discussion

For those displaying loooooooooooooong urls in their posts,

by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2006 5:32 AM PDT

it would be Sooooooo N I C E if you buried them behind some short text. They cause my browsers to display a basically blank screen. You are forced to figure out that the page is there, and then scroll down until you find the text. It's especially aggravating when it's done in the root post of the thread. That one comes up every time you get into the thread, and you have to scroll down to the 'next unread message' link.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For those displaying loooooooooooooong urls in their posts,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For those displaying loooooooooooooong urls in their posts,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
some times its to late
by Mark5019 / September 11, 2006 5:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
The problem with tinyurl ...
by Evie / September 11, 2006 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: some times its to late

... and others, is that you can't see where you are being directed. Using the coding we CAN use here (not HTML :() allows you to mouse over and still see if it is a site you want to go to.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I'm not really too concerned about
by Dragon / September 11, 2006 12:34 PM PDT

Where it's taking me. But I've read you can't depend on how long the tinyurl is going to last. I prefer the BBcode method, myself, wherever I can use code. I have a program ('extension' for FF) that I like a lot.

Collapse -
I do like to know where I'm going ...
by Evie / September 11, 2006 7:48 PM PDT

... usually folks here can be trusted, but there have been times where links that might seem inappropriate -- especially for those on work computers -- to be accessing.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
The code is
by Evie / September 11, 2006 5:54 AM PDT

{url=http://yoururlhere.com}URL Text{/url} and replace the {} with [] brackets.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, Evie. -- RTB
by Ziks511 / September 11, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: The code is
Collapse -
If you or anyone else wants to use FF
by Dragon / September 11, 2006 12:42 PM PDT

there are several extensions available. I use BBCode 0.4.1.2 but have not had experience with the others. You can also do HTML and XHTML, though I've found there is sometimes an extra step for them.

Collapse -
Yeah, BBCode is Great. Also ...
by Bill Osler / September 11, 2006 9:52 PM PDT

There is an extension called Copy URL+ that will actually do most of the work if you are copying text and setting up a link.

I've set up a custom option in Copy URL+ so that if I highlight text in a web page, I can right click the selection and use the extension to copy the page link, page title and selected text so I just have to past everything into the message body and it's all ready to go. No messing around required. It ends up looking like this:

Page Title Here, Highlighted text from the page

Firefox has some slick extensions.

Collapse -
Does it do other things
by Dragon / September 12, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

Like bold, italics, underline, colored text, smiley faces, font size, code, make list and etc. (Unfortunately not all of that is accepted by one program or another...)

Collapse -
I suppose Copy URL+ could do those ...
by Bill Osler / September 12, 2006 11:55 AM PDT

For simple formatting BBCode is the better choice. Copy URL+ could do any one of those things via its custom codes, but they are a bit of a nuisance to set up.

I end up using both BBCode and Copy URL+. If I copy text from one place and paste it into a post, I usually highlight the pasted text so I've set up a custom function in BBCode to paste the text with the codes for bold text already included. If I want to include the URL, page title and a selection of text from another page it's easier to use Copy URL+.

Collapse -
What are you using for browsers...
by Rolway / September 11, 2006 6:03 AM PDT

I don't have any trouble, long or short with Opera.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm using IE7 and Safari if I'm on a Mac.
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2006 9:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hi KP...
by Rolway / September 11, 2006 12:56 PM PDT

I'm not familiar with Safari, but heard its good.

I use Opera (free version) on 2000 Pro with great success. Its very, very rare I use IE6 (no 7). Its a real PITA

On 98se I have FF but do not use it much. Don't care for FF. Too many problems. Going to put Opera on there someday.

George

Collapse -
IE 7 is a good improvement, and I have some plug-ins
by Kiddpeat / September 12, 2006 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi KP...

which are quite useful to me. I've tried other browsers occasionally, but have seen no real reason to switch.

Safari seems to work OK. My big complaint is the Mac it runs on. I'm particularly bugged by the mouse which lacks buttons and a scroll wheel (Yes, I know you can buy a better one, but you shouldn't have to and it's not my machine). The OS is also distinctively unimpressive.

Collapse -
You have a good point.
by drpruner / September 12, 2006 10:26 AM PDT

I'll try again to learn tiny code. (Once before I gave up because of too many glitches.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!